Simple data retrieval/storage from Compactlogix

Old No. 7

I'm trying to figure out a cheap/simple way of saving some recipe and configuration data out of a Compactlogix PLC (L33ER) and Panelview Plus 6.

Our control system has a bunch (maybe 100 tags) of configuration info and a multi dimensional array with recipe information. The recipe has a couple hundred tags and there are over a hundred recipes.

Our customer would like to...

1. Backup the configuration data offline
2. Backup the recipe data and ideally be able to write the recipes back to the PLC.

I don't really want to get into an OPC server or custom software if possible. I found some info about being able to trend some data to the SD card in the Compactlogix PLCs, but it seemed less than user friendly.

Anyone do anything similar or have any clever ideas?

You may laugh at this solution but it is proven and inexpensive.

We've been using WAGO 750-885 controllers for this because they've got SQL capabilities (ie, read and write that recipe) + Ethernet IP (for CLX communications, it's a slave to a CLX) + SD (up to 32G) + Web Server (for a "free" user interface)

Good Luck,

Yosi

This might cross into your definition of custom application, but it is free so you won't get any cheaper.

Using AdvancedHMI:

- After opening the Solution in Visual Studio, Build the project
- From the Toolbox add an EthernetIPforCLXCom driver to the form
- In the properties window, set the IPAddress to the address of your controller
- Add a Button from the Toolbox (All Windows Forms group) to the form
- Double click the button to get back to code
- Enter this code:
Code:
Dim Mydata() as string
MyData=EthernetIPforCLXCom1.Read("MyTagArray[0]",50)
Using sw As new System.IO.StreamWriter("MyDataFile.txt")
  For I=0 to MyData.Length-1
     sw.WriteLine(MyData(I))
  Next
  sw.close
End Using

- Run the application and click the button

It will read the data from the global tag MyTagArray and write each value to a file named MyDataFile.txt

Thanks for the suggestion guys. The Wago probably isn't one I would choose mainly due to lack of familiarity with them, but it did give me the thought of just using a Red Lion datastation. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Archie, I'd like to give AdvancedHMI a try at some point. Just haven't gotten around to it. The price is certainly tough to beat!!