Sipart PS2 Positioner

ali18

[FONT=&quot]Hi everyone here,
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is a big control valve - in the steam power plant where I work - controlled by Siemens' positioner (Sipart PS2 6DR52200EG000AA0),.. and the whole system is controlled through a DCS(PLC+SCADA).. Anyway, the positioer became brokendown, and it was replaced with a new one.. this latter one is a 4-wire type, and it receives all opening/closing commands from the SCADA very well (from 0% to 100% and vice versa).. it is OK except there is "No feedback" from this positioner on the SCADA screen in the control room,.. as the Actual Openning percentage (AO%) is remotely frosen at 13% ... Would you help me tackle this minor problem??[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

‫Feedback problem - #1.jpg

The model number of your positioner indicates that it came from the factory without the position feedback module, so the position feedback module must have been added in the field.

The wiring diagram you posted is 4 wire connections for the control signal only, not for the position retransmit signal

In your wiring diagram a separate DC power supply on the top is connected to terminals 2 and 4. The control signal is connected to terminals 6 and 8.

Hopefully your installation has 6 wires, because the position feedback module requires an additional 2 wires, as shown below.

current_output_wiring.jpg

Is the feedback really wired properly, or is your DCS seeing some fixed current from some other source?

PS2 Feedback

Hi Ali,

You can use the feedback module from the broken positioner and install it in the new one, or buy only the feedback module.

Best regards,
Kelkoon

The model number of your positioner indicates that it came from the factory without the position feedback module, so the position feedback module must have been added in the field.

The wiring diagram you posted is 4 wire connections for the control signal only, not for the position retransmit signal

In your wiring diagram a separate DC power supply on the top is connected to terminals 2 and 4. The control signal is connected to terminals 6 and 8.

Hopefully your installation has 6 wires, because the position feedback module requires an additional 2 wires, as shown below.

current_output_wiring.jpg

Is the feedback really wired properly, or is your DCS seeing some fixed current from some other source?
ـــــــــــــــــــــــ
Dear danw,

Thank you so much over the contribution,.. How have you judged that the recently installed one doesn't have any position feedback from the factory? please make this clear!!

By the way, the defective one was of 2 wire type, and the current output was wired as shown in the attached file,.. On the other hand, the voltage was supplied through the terminals#61 & 62 as exactly as it appears in your attached image,..

PS: as far as I've noticed that it's required to "modify" the new one, by adding a position feedback module to it,.. but unfortunately there's no "assigned space" on the new one, so I can't install that module onto it,.. Any suggestions??? Please more help!!!

the  wiring of defective.jpg

1) One of the first things to do is to de-code the positioner model number in order to understand exactly how it has been built. Then one inspects the actual installed unit to see if it has been modified, for instance, by adding an option card.

The screen shot from page 5/17 shows the digit in the part number used for the option module. A digit 0 represents 'no option module'.

PS2_part_number_field_for_option_card.jpg

The table on catalog sheet page 5/13 shows that there are two different modules, depending the hazardous area rating of the installation.

2) The wiring terminals 61 and 62 are on the options card itself. If you open the housing and look for the terminals 61 & 62 and they're not there, then there's no position feedback options card.

The position feedback option card is mounted in the 'lower' slot, the upper slot is for the alarm relay card.

EXP_housing_with_component_locations_Iy_hi.jpg

3) If I understand this correctly, there's no position feedback card installed. So your real problem is that your DCS is showing a 13% position when there's no position feedback card installed. Why is that?

1) One of the first things to do is to de-code the positioner model number in order to understand exactly how it has been built. Then one inspects the actual installed unit to see if it has been modified, for instance, by adding an option card.

The screen shot from page 5/17 shows the digit in the part number used for the option module. A digit 0 represents 'no option module'.

PS2_part_number_field_for_option_card.jpg

The table on catalog sheet page 5/13 shows that there are two different modules, depending the hazardous area rating of the installation.

2) The wiring terminals 61 and 62 are on the options card itself. If you open the housing and look for the terminals 61 & 62 and they're not there, then there's no position feedback options card.

The position feedback option card is mounted in the 'lower' slot, the upper slot is for the alarm relay card.

EXP_housing_with_component_locations_Iy_hi.jpg

3) If I understand this correctly, there's no position feedback card installed. So your real problem is that your DCS is showing a 13% position when there's no position feedback card installed. Why is that?
ـــــــــــــــــ
Yes, danw, there's no position feedback card attached to /fixed on the new positioner,.. and as I formerly said that the defective one was of 2 wires, and its power supply was connected to the terminals #61 and #62 which you've referred to,...
In terms of the recently installed one, it was supplied through both terminals #2 and #4 as shown above,.. Similarly, the current output was connected to terminals #6 and #8,..
----------

As this is the case with the new positioner,.. Does this mean that I can't receive a position feedback signal on the DCS?

You need to install a position feedback option card, wire it like a passive, 2 wire loop powered device (with a loop power supply), connect it to the DCS and configure the DCS. The hardware is not there yet for a position feedback signal.

Hi Everyone,

This minor problem has been solved,.. and consequently I'd like to share with you how I've worked it out,.. As the feedback position card (Iy-module) of the defective positioner is still Ok,... On the other hand, it is detachable,.. I've fixed it on the new one,.. That's it!!:site: