SLC-150 is obsolete, does that mean pending doom?

How large are these cranes?

We recently installed a NEW 10 ton bridge crane with a 60' bridge and 120' travel. The crane was a new installation where supports and columns did not previously exist. The price of this one crane with new foundation and columns was just a little more than 1/4 of the price you were quoted for the retrofit. What I am saying is that unless these are really large high load cranes the price you have been quoted just might be more than buying brand new cranes with the latest safety features. Small to medium size cranes (<20 ton) are virtually a commodity and are not expensive. That is something you might want to consider as an option.

How big was the hydraulic power unit on that crane?

Wait, wait. So you are totally scrapping the SLC-150 just because it faulted? Did you have someone try to get online with it and reset the fault? I haven't worked with the old 150s, but in my experience a controller faulting out every once in a while is a fairly routine occurrence. It probably didn't happen to you due to the extremely friendly environment it was in. Anyway, the Micrologix 1400 is pretty much the modern drop-in replacement for the 150. It's got the same I/O layout as the 150 (20 In, 12 Out), is ethernet capable and can be edited online.

Whomever decided Control Logix was the drop-in replacement for your system was trying to fleece you for everything you're worth. If you have to use them and get it all certified, at least have them requote it with Micrologix 1400 controllers with 1200 IO. There is nothing, literally nothing, the SLC 150s could do that the 1400 platform can't.

diagnostics performed

We did follow the manual that said to turn off/remove power from the plc, then restart, but the fault still existed. We were able to fine a local AB representative that had a cable and a dos based laptop to come in and perform diagnostics (even though AB stated they no longer support the SLC-150, they did find someone who would but told us it was the last time). When he connected to the SLC-150 he told us he found a memory error. We later bought a cable and found the original program was still intact, after we already bought his replacement. This AB referred rep was the one that proposed the contrologix.
Meanwhile, due to the Sequester, the customer has decided that the SLC-150's aren't so bad after all.
What I would like to do is send the faulted SLC-150 out to someone for root cause analysis and refurbishment so we could have it on the shelf in case of another failure. Is there anyone that does that, or would the cost be prohibitive?

For repair check the link for Electrical South earlier in this thread.

Search the forum for PCIS. You can find links to download the software, AB now gives is away for free. The same search will turn up vendors that sell cables and converters that work with modern computers. PCIS runs best in a dos virtual machine like DOSBOX (also free) and the same search will turn up instructions on how to do it.

What I would like to do is send the faulted SLC-150 out to someone for root cause analysis and refurbishment so we could have it on the shelf in case of another failure.
Right, save all us poor out-of-work too-sick-to-work taxpayers some money, and find 4 or 5 new SLC 150s, buy them, put them on the shelf until the building's mission runs out in 4 years.

This thread is too funny.
Multipy this case by the several thousand government agencies in the US (been there, done that), and it becomes even funnier, so funny it makes you want to cry.

When he connected to the SLC-150 he told us he found a memory error.
Yeah, connected cable, reset fault bit, closed program, packed up tools, sent huge bill and estimate for ridiculous amount.

Last edited:
Get a second quote, from a competitor ;)

How many I/O per crane are you dealing with. My initial thoughts are, your jobs are safe but you might not have an open bar at this years X-mas party ;) If you have the logic, like many here have already said, it's not a big deal to upgrade to new technology. I would assume a couple hundred I/O per crane.

The base unit supported 20 inputs and 12 outputs, expansion IO could be added to 120 points. It had 181 internal bits, and only 32 timers/counters. Max program size is 885 instructions. That would limit the program length to 170 to 250 rungs, making it unlikely you could actually program it to use its full expansion IO capacity.

How many I/O per crane are you dealing with?
Here was my estimate based on given information.

Looking at your contractor's proposed ControlLogix Input-Ouput list, here is what you would get with each ControlLogix 1756-L55 PLC processor:

one 1756-IF16I, 6-point Isolated* Analog Inputs [NOT AVAIALABLE FOR SLC-150]
one 1756-IB16I, 16-point Isolated Digital Inputs, 24 Volts DC
one 1756-OW16I, 16-point Isolated Digital Outputs, 120 Volts AC
one 1756-OF6CI, 6-point Isolated Analog Outputs [NOT AVAIALABLE FOR SLC-150]

Basically they are only using 16 digital inputs and 16 digital outputs (compared to the original 40 I, 24 O). Obviously they plan to rebuild your crane control system and replace twelve analog-to-digital converters used in the old system, using parts not included in the original design - not a simple PLC swap, but a complete redesign and rebuild.

*Note that the SLC-150 never had isolated inputs or outputs of any kind, nor any analog-type I/O.
Apparently the cranes used some analog-to-digital converters for the analog signals, so those would be a problem to replace if you stick with the SLC 150.