SLC 5/03 Could not get processor ownership

eshmx1977

Hello all, I have a SLC 5/03 at home and I am trying to get online with it but I can not, there is a message asking for download a program, but when I try to do it there is a message that says "couldn't get processor ownership" and I can not dowload the program, RS Linx shows the PLC and the PC but that's all, could you help me please??

Thank you

I coppied this from a post of RSDoran...

You will loose everything inside but I don't think you care about it, so its worth a try... this clears the CPU to factory default

For 5/03 and 5/04 Processors:
1) Power down processor.

2) Pull processor out of rack and disconnect battery cable.

3) Find the VBB and GND solder pads on the back side of the processor (5/03 - on the back side of mother board where the battery would be located. 5/04 - on the back side of mother board approx. 1 inch from the back connector edge of the mother board and about centered from the top/bottom of mother board.)

4) Using something metal (a paper clip will do), short the VBB and GND terminals for 60 seconds.

5) Reconnect battery and insert processor into rack.

6) Power up processor.

(See AB Publication 1747-6.2 SLC 500 Modular Hardware Style Installation and Operation Manual, Troubleshooting Chapter, "Returning Processor to Initial Factory Conditions" for pictures of mother board and locations of VBB and GND solder pads.)

Operaghost said:
Try toggling the keyswitch.

OH SURE! a simple toggle, man! these are PLC's they are more complicated then that... you have to have a procedure (more then 100 words long), do you think just anyone can use these things they call PLC's ?

I think you just like showing me up ;)

(Disclaimer: for them boys and girls that don't know me) the above statement was a joke... its funny how simple the fix can really be sometimes :)

it is not working

I tried all your advices and the problem remain the same, do you think this could be related to the version of the RSLogix, I am using 6.00 build 20 the RSLinx can see the CPU but I still having the same message, "could not get processor ownership"

Thank you

D'OH!! So here I was laughing at GIT's comment only to scroll down to see that neither of us were any help whatsoever.

So just to be sure.........GITs original "procedure" (wink wink nudge nudge) should have completely wiped out whatever program was in the processor. If you turn the key to RUN, what does the RUN light do?

Also, this problem could be due to the EEPROM memory module. Try pulling the processor out of the chassis and if there is a EEPROM plug in module then remove it. Place the processor back in the chassis and power it back up. What happens?

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rockwellautomation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=19089&p_created=972593087&p_sid=NRuifz6j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NCw0JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9U0xDIG93bmVyc2hpcA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

eshmx1977 said:
I tried all your advices and the problem remain the same, do you think this could be related to the version of the RSLogix, I am using 6.00 build 20 the RSLinx can see the CPU but I still having the same message, "could not get processor ownership"

Thank you

Yes, I was going to suggest that, but could not find any technotes to support the possiblity. I have heard of this happening with older versions of RSLogix trying to access a newer firmware SLC.

Paul

Sorry but the last advice was not useful, I can not go on line with the processor, it is asking me to perform a download first, and then is when I get the processor ownership, when I switch the key to run the LED is off, only the FAULT LED and the DH are flashing all the time.

What is the processor firmware number? Does it tell you when you begin the download?

I had one 5/04 that acted similarly and would occasionaly put itself in program mode. It turned out to be a bad keyswitch! It never kept me from obtaining ownership, but sometimes did not respond to the keyswitch, and about once a week was found to be in program mode even with the keyswitch in REM and the key removed.

Last edited:
well, it says "Downloading (PRUEBA) 1747-l532 C/D 5/03 CPU - 16Kb Mem. OS302"
to "(DEFAULT) 1747-l532 C/D 5/03 CPU - 16Kb Mem. OS302" are you sure you want to proceed with download?" if I click yes it comes the message.

The Keyswitch is Bad

I was looking for scrap and surplus automation equipment on Google and I happen to see this thread in this forum. This place is great you guys help each other out alot. With regards to your problem, I seen this before and can say with 95% certainty that the keyswitch is bad. If you can replace it with another one from a scrap unit you should be good to go. I only suggest the scrap unit because its hard to get certain Allen Bradley parts new. Good Luck

Ford912

Probably too late, but this error message is also caused by the protect jumper on the processor. If you look at the sticker on the side of the processor, you will see the protect/program positions for the jumper.