SLC 5/04 faulted (again)

just one more friendly suggestion: ask the forum BEFORE you spend any more of your money ... we'll be glad to tell you which parts of the puzzle will "fit" together - and which ones won't - just as long as you can give us ALL of the details on what you're considering ...

as you said: there are a LOT of lessons to be learned in just putting together a system which will work ... ask us first and we'll try our best to keep those lessons as inexpensive as possible ...

good luck with your projects ...

So I took the rack to school last night, and got a chance to try it out before class. It only took a few minutes to write a simple blinky program using a couple timers to trigger each other, and output that to one of the output cards. I had a little trouble with one output card that didn't want to self configure, but after that, it was up and running in no time.

The only catch was that the guy setting next to me is a bit of a slouch. He managed to get his feet tangled up in the wires while relaxing, and pulled the whole rack off the table onto the floor!

Anyone know where I can get a new ,(or new to me)power supply case for a P4 power supply?

Its busted up pretty bad. Other than that no harm seems to have been done, I had to reload my little program, but everything still works. Except if I have to sell it now I will lose money.

I did ask my instructor if there was any way I could purchase a license for the software through the school at a discount. He is going to talk to the powers that be, and see if anything can be done. In the meantime I have my little Micrologix 1000 to practice on at home.

He also said that I was wlecome to leave the rack at school. At least until I have the software at home I decided to do that. We have an open lab day this Thursday, I plan to spend that time playing with it at school. I may still be able to write test programs on the free software? If I can, I can take them to school and run them on the full version.

As I am only getting started I am sure to have a kazillion questions about programming, and hardware. I know just enough at this point to be dangerous.

PcRider

PS: Ron, its sound advice. I will keep it in mind. Thanks.

Anyone know where I can get a new ,(or new to me)power supply case for a P4 power supply?

eBay.... or if it is for you and you are not going to resell it I have a few, just not sure if the condition will be good enough to resell with your rack

Send me a PM or email if you need a PS or if you are going to sell the rack 'as is'

If you do sell it!!!!!!!

i tried changing the settings in rslogix 5 while using the soft controller. It won't let me of course. (you probably knew that). It shows memory of 8,092,000 and won't let me change it. If i'm not mistaken, the 5/04 has a total of 64k of memory, and the m11 memory board is another 16k. Thats a total of 80k or 81920. Thats assuming the m11 is an add on, and not standard.

I'll call a dealer as soon as i get a chance, and see what the rslogix 500 is going for, i doubt i will be able to buy it so i may be selling this thing.

Thanks again for your help,
mike b. Aka pcrider.
if you do decide to sell it shot me your asking price ...i also have a micrologix 1000 32 to go-along in a deal thanks... Dave...