Slc 5/04 - Net Eni - Slc 5/05

Pam

Hi,

We have a SLC 5/04 with a 1761-NET-ENI plug into a hub. To this hub is a SLC 5/05, plug also. The trouble is, we can't send message between the plc's. Could you help us? :(

Thank you very much

Pam

More details please

Just because you have a hub and both are connected to it does NOT A CONNECTION MAKE

This is ethernet correct...both devices must have an IP address. The network must be able to use those IP addresses.

The devices must be configured for Ethernet and data transfer over Ethernet.

Offer details on setup of ethernet, device addresses etc etc.

Many here can help if the right info is offered.

Sorry,

Well this is our arquitecture.

We need to send messages between SLC 5/05 (1) and SLC 5/04, SLC 5/05 (2) and SLC 5/04. Because, SLC 5/04 controls and send the setpoint to PID's into SLC 5/05 (1) and SLC 5/05 (2). We have configured all the IP's address, also the NET-ENI. We can communicate between SLC 5/05's and the computer. One point: the PanelView Ethernet CAN see the data required from SLC 5/04.

I will appreciate your help.

Pam

net-eni.jpg

Pam

Hi there.

Have you checked out the manual, regarding DF1 Message Routing.

Basically the ENI has to bridge two different protocols.

On the Ethernet side it has TCP/IP adresses as sources/destinations, and these need to be mapped to DF1 addresses on the Serial side.

DF1 nodes 0-49 must be mapped in the ENI to TCP/IP addresses so the ENI knows how to address the reply packets.

Pam

Hi there.

Have you checked out the manual, regarding DF1 Message Routing.

Basically the ENI has to bridge two different protocols.

On the Ethernet side it has TCP/IP adresses as sources/destinations, and these need to be mapped to DF1 addresses on the Serial side.

DF1 nodes 0-49 must be mapped in the ENI to TCP/IP addresses so the ENI knows how to address the reply packets.

I have same problem in one of our lines we have 4 slc505 which installed 4 years ago, and new 505 and new 503 with Net ENI which installed few month ago
I can see all of them in RSLinx but I can send messages
betwwen the old 505s to the ENI.The ENI work good with the new 505.
The new 505 work goog with the other 505 and with the ENI.
AB didnt gave me answer for that.I just route the masseges for the ENI through the new 505.
any Ideas?

In fact, we have a computer and we did a ping. All is ok. RSLinx can see all the SLC's. Our arquitecture shows a PanelView Ethernet, this PanelView can see information from the SLC 5/04.

Thank you for your help

Pam

PhilipW is on the right track, I think. When you send a message from the SLC-5/04 Channel 0 to one of the SLC-5/05 controllers via the 1761-NET-ENI, the MSG configuration only lets you set up a DF1 Destination Address.

The 1761-NET-ENI then has a table configured inside it that matches up DF1 addresses with IP addresses.

When messages come in from the Ethernet side of the 1761-NET-ENI, it keeps track of the IP address they came from in order to properly send the reply back to that IP address. The DF1/IP routing table is not necessary to RSLogix 500 or a PanelView or a message from the SLC-5/05 to correctly communicate with the SLC-5/04.

But the other direction.... you will need to take a look at the DF1/IP routing table in the 1761-NET-ENI configuration utility.

I post copy of my e mail to AB
I hope it describe all.

> The Ethernet network includes 6 SLC 5/05 PLCs and one SLC 5/03, 1747-L531E
> with 8K and OS302 Series C PLC with ENI. The PLC has DH485 port connected
to
> AIC+, DF1 port connected to ENI and additional 1747-KE module.
>
> As part of the operation I tried to read from the SLC 5/03 PLC. The SLC
5/05
> PLCs initiate the reading procedures and the SLC 5/03 never initiates a
> call.
> The ENI IP address is 130.131.100.9. The DF1 Source ID is 9.
>
> I first tried to call from SLC 5/05, 1747-L551B with 16K and OS501 Series
C.
> This is the newest SLC 5/05 we have and we bought it with the SLC 5/03
PLC.
> With this PLC we have no problem using MSG with MultyHop to read from the
> SLC 5/03 PLC. This PLC IP address is 130.131.100.6
>
> Then, I tried to initiate the same call from SLC 5/05, 1747-L551 with 16K
> and OS501. , IP address is 130.131.100.2. I inserted the same MSG with
> MultyHop, IP address of the ENI and Backplane 0. The software (RSLogic
5.20)
> accepts the rung without warning. When I test the program and the PLC try
to
> execute the MSG command the PLC crashes with major error 65 HEX. I see the
> error message in the Processor Status, Errors tab: "Communication port
error
> number 65 HEX. See manual for more details" (not exactly, I don't
remmember
> the exect phrase). This message number does not appears in the help nor in
> the reference book. As a result the PLC goes out of RUN and the Fault and
> Ethernet lamps are blinking in red. The Ethernet port is disconnected and
I
> must go to the DH485 port (with AIC+) to reset the fault and read the
> software. In order to use the Ethernet port I must power off the PLC! Pay
> attention that the problem appears only if the MSG command is executed. Is
> the MSG command exists but disabled the PLC doesn't crash.
>
> I tried several times and each time I had to go locally to the DH485 port
to
> reset the fault and change the program. foolish!
> I tried again with another PLC, SLC 5/05, 1747-L551 with 16K and OS500, IP
> address 130.131.100.3, and got the same problem.
>
> You are right. The MSG command should never stop the PLC program, and
> obviously not disconnect it!
>
> Thanks in advance, and waiting for quick solution...
>
> Arik Ben-Yehuda
> Barak Electrical Control Systems

PhillipW has it right here people.

You must look into DF1 message routing. Since the 5/05's have the ethernet port built in, there is no IP/DF1 translation going on. However, the only way that ip messages can be routed into or out of the 5/04 is through the Net-ENI module. And since the Net-ENI module can ONLY communicate to the 5/04 via DF1 routing messages, then that's how the data must happen.

Look at it this way. The 5/05's are talking to the ENI module, NOT the 5/04. If you want the information to get to or come from the 5/04, you have to do some programming in the 5/04 to either send it to the ENI module, or bring it into the processor FROM the ENI module.

If you send some info to the ENI module, it's just going to sit there until you pull it into the 5/04 using a DF1 call.

On a related note....if you're using the ENI module for Panelview communications AND you're wanting to have some slc to slc messaging going on, you'll save yourslef some serious time, money, and headaches by just replacing the 5/04's with some 5/05's. The ENI module was never meant to function in this way.