slc 5/04

maina

M
Hi , I am new to the slc series of Allen Bradley SLCs. I have tried to communicate to a new SLC5/04 using the RS232c port on it using its CP10 programming cable. The communication software is RSlinx Ver 2.1.
After running the Autoconfigure in the Rslinx new channell addition wizard window , I get an error message telling me to check the cables and switch settings. On observing the proccessor physically, there are no switches to be set.
Is there any other hardware or software to enable me to set it for communication ?.
The proccessor is an SLC 5/04-543-64K ,clean out of the box state. I have mounted it a 13 slot rack powered by a P4 Power supply.
My slot usage is 8 slots DI (1-8) 3 slots DO(9-11) and finaly Slot 13 is an 8 channel analogue input card.

SLC 5/03, SLC 5/04, or SLC 5/05 Processor Connected to a PC
with a 1747-CP3 Cable, here are the Pin Outs for it.

Both Ends are 9 Pin Female
2 ------ 3
3 ------ 2
4 ------ 6 + 1
5 ------ 5
1 + 6 ------ 4
7 ------ 8
8 ------ 7

Use the RS232 DF1 Driver in RSLinx, make sure that you have not enabled the DH-485 Driver for the PIC Module, this will take over
the Com Port and nothing else can use it. Use Autoconfigure and cross your fingers.

Regards
Ron Barnes
Adelaide, Australia
Email : [email protected]

The 1784-CP10 cable is for PLC-5 controllers' Channel 0 DF1 protocol RS-232 serial ports. It has a 25-pin Male connector to connect to the PLC-5 instead of a 9-pin Female connector to connect to a SLC-5/0x controller.

You must necessarily then be using another adapter or cable to change 25-pin Male to 9-Pin Female. That's where your problem may be, if it swaps pins 2 and 3. Get a different cable or a "straight through" 9/25 pin adapter.

If it's "clean out of the box", won't you have to download a program with RSLogix 500 first to configure the COM port? Then you can communicate with RSLinx.

slc-5/04

I've used the 5/04 AB units for sometime now, and all I do is hook-up the 1747 cable and go to Communications Configure Drivers through rslinx. Pick the AB_DF1-1 DH485 Sta:0 COM1:, then pick configure, The window screen comes up configure RS-232 DF1 Com1 (Device SLC-CHO/Micro/PanelView) (Braud Rate 19200) (Station #00) (Parity None) (Error Checking CRC) (Stop Bits: 1) (Protocol Full Duplix). Then I click on "auto-configure" give it a couple of sec., and it states "auto configuration successful!" Also I keep my 5/04's in Rem mode for modifying programs later. I hope this will help! Have Fun!