SLC 5/05 Online Edit Resource cannot be obtained

Some of my 505's are messaging and some are not and i just looked at rs linx and noticed some of the ones that are messaging are showing up as just the processor icon and some of the ones not messaging are also showing up as processor icons only instead of the rack icons. The way they show up in rs linx may not have anything to do with the online editing problems but it has been consistant that the ones displayed as just a processor are the ones that give me fits if i attempt to do any online editing.

Well, it happened again today. Mike was editing the constant of a MOV instruction and it kicked him offline. Now, when trying to go online, we are prompted to upload. Once the upload nears completion, we get the message shown below. (I can't figure out how to move the image to the middle of a post...)

This happens whether we upload using the correct file or try to create a new file from either of our PCs connected via ethernet.

This is a little different than what I saw last time. Mike has seen this error in the past though. The machines are still running fine at the moment, but Mike is certain that about eight hours from now, the PLC will die, so he's going to shut down production so he can cycle power to it.

EDIT: By using data monitor in RSLinx, I find S:33 contains 2056 and sometimes 2568 which indicates that S:33/11 is on and S:33/12 is off...

Upload_Failed.jpg

Last edited:
I finally found a solution to the problem i noted earlier in this thread per Rockwell knowledgebase answer id 60083 which states:
When a SLC500 is configured on AB_ETH, it uses the CSPV4 legacy protocol. Sometimes when a power failure occurs the ethernet driver might switch from the CSPV4 protocol to ETHERNET/IP protocol and the connection might be lost with the SLC500. Even the icon on the RSWho screen changes and it looks exactly the same as when it is configured on ETHERNET/IP AB_ETHIP Driver.
If this situation happens, append an option :)V4) to the Ethernet/IP address while configuring an ethernet driver (AB-ETH) that specifies or force the driver always uses the legacy CSPV4 protocol for SLC 500 processors. For example, 130.130.130.130:V4
This fixed my problem of doing online edits and having them fail and knocking me off line on slc 505's.Thought i would pass it on to anyone having these problems.