SLC 5/05 Upgrade

There's conversion kits for the SLC to 5069. Very nice and you can be done with wiring in an hour on site. There's videos of it.

1492-CH1746-13 for 13 slot

To be honest with you, doing upgrades.

I would 1st, look at the system.
Determine what, if any, can go remote.

Collect some thoughts on how to best approach this.

I personally don't think an upgrade from a SLC505 warrants an upgrade to CLX, even with remote stuff.

Look at 5380 CPL, and determine if that will work.

I have been using these since released, along with the 5069 IO, and never had a problem.

You need to read the manuals on how the devices work, but after that, it's a cake walk.

Oh I cut my teeth on upgrades. Very first project was SLC 150 with the 150E expansion to a completely different brand.

That was 2008.

Haven't touched AB since V30. Mainly CPX. Last CLX was a L6x.

That looks like a good option, cheeseFace.

I seriously don't get why one would replace a SLC500, even if it had racks and DN/SN remotely with a CLX. If that's what it calls for, as you may think, then do what you think.

I didn't look at the monetary conversion, but I logged into my account at my "regional" Rockwell distributor.

Yikes!!!

1746-L553.jpg

Yes indeed. The engineering manager at the site doesn't trust eBay/Radwell refurb.

Can't say what the machine does due to NDA, but it's ~300 parts per minute. Downtime = $$$

I only suggested CLX in my OP as I thought that it might have the conversion kit. To be honest, I'm happier with CPX. Thanks all for your input.

Yes indeed. The engineering manager at the site doesn't trust eBay/Radwell refurb.

I am registered with Rockwell and I might be able to get my account manager at Kendall to trim a few bucks off, but I don't see the need, unless urgent, to buy stuff like this.

I remember when the PLC5 went bye bye, our then account manager had a good day when he sold (2) processors (something 40E) to a local company for $40K each. I forget the PLC5 numbering stuff.

I have a couple of "lightly used" 551's for sale, complete with rack and I/O of your choice, SN/DNS options available. I toss in a free battery on every purchase. LOL

I have a couple of "lightly used" 551's for sale, complete with rack and I/O of your choice, SN/DNS options available. I toss in a free battery on every purchase. LOL

I will take them ;)

I also see why every time I get a L553 for stock they sell fast....

the_msp said:
The engineering manager at the site doesn't trust eBay/Radwell refurb.

Tell him they have new counterfeit ones for sale also... and they are cheap :D

On the conversion, I'm all in favor of recreating it, not using the conversion tool. Tag arrays replacing data files are awful. I would probably use 5069 for SLC replacement, but Rockwell is our normal. Copy - paste some rung structure might make conversion easier. I would also want to connect the PowerFlex by Ethernet.

I've been writing a ControlLogix program to replace a PLC5. For a lot of sequencing and stuff that doesn't match my standard routines, I copied rungs from Logix 5 and pasted into Studio 5000. That saved a lot of hassle building the rung structure. From there it's mostly create and fill in tags. You can even use find and replace to change all the B3/81 to Infeed.Start for tags used several times.

Timers paste with an extra operand. Double click on the branch and a couple backspaces in the mnemonics fixes it. Playing a bit with a SLC program for this post, I found OSR will need a bit of finessing to an ONS, and SCP of course, doesn't exist. I'm sure there's more, but my main point for this post was to point out copy paste from Logix can save some conversion time without the terrible tags of the conversion tool.

Has anyone got any direct experience with Phoenix Contact AxioLine Remote IO. Either Ethernet/IP or ModbusTCP.

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/en-g...-systems#ex-content-transclusion-snippet--682

I use a stack of PT terminals, distribution, relays. Call me a push over, but I like push in.
One of my customers has been using them for quite a while now, having switched over from Point I/O due to cost. They do the job, but I don't like them.

I commissioned one of their plants for them with this I/O and just found the setup a bit cumbersome, unintuitive, and poorly translated. There was also one analog input card where the engineer had accidentally transposed two wires on their drawings, I can't remember the exact details but essentially they had four 24VDC, 4-20mA sensors and they drew all of them with two wires transposed. Three of them were wired as per the drawings and the fourth was wired "incorrectly" - which actually made it correct - I'm still not sure whether the guy who wired that one was incompetent and his mistake just so happened to exactly cancel out the mistake on the drawings, or if he was extra-competent and noticed the discrepancy between the drawings and the instrument datasheet and fixed it on the fly. In any case, all the analog inputs that were wired wrong (i.e. according to the drawings) were rendered permanently dead - the only one that remained functional was the one wired correctly.

In my mind, if you can destroy an analog input module by shorting 0V or 24V to it, it's not fit for purpose.