SLC distributed I/O - Ideas?

bentleya

Anyone have any good ideas for distributed I/O, utilizing an SLC 5/03 PLC? I have a project to look at within a building where I would like to mount the CPU within an office and use distribued I/O to the different MCC's, Control stations, etc. I haven't done this with Allen Bradley, so any ideas appreciated. (I/O will be 90% digital, with no special modules)
I'm probably looking at around 200 I/O points.
I happen to have an abundance of I/O, CPU, racks, etc. for the SLC - saving money you know.... :)

Anyone utilized Automation Direct's dist. I/O for the above?

Last edited:
Well, you could do traditional "Blue-Hose" RIO, DeviceNet or ControlNet. I hate RIO in a SLC, so I'd probably do DeviceNet or ControlNet.

I have used RIO in an SLC with the 1747-SN module and have had no problems. The rack addressing setup can be a little tricky if you have a complicated system, but once it's set up right, it works pretty well. CompactBlock I/O is probably the least expensive A-B option if you don't needs lots of I/O points.

Hundikoer said:
Definetly cheapest in-cabinet IO is Embedded IO AB has (plain PCB with connectors)

True, but I'm not sure I'd want to mount non-enclosed equipment in my panel, especially in an industrial environment.

That brings up a good point... I have noticed that motor drives and such can often be purchased with no enclosure--the circuitry is just hanging out there for everyone to poke at.

Does anyone have any opinions for/against using these models? (I think they are usually cheaper as Hundikoer pointed out.)

-John