SLC & Visual Basic Interfacing

The best way for a Visual Basic program to interact with the RSEmulate 500 program is to use RSLinx and the OPC Automation interface. This is very well documented.

You cannot use DMA. I do not think you have the budget to use the RSLinx SDK.

RSEmulate 500 can take over the serial port and emulate DF1 or DH485 protocol from that port. You could possibly connect from one serial port to another on the same machine, and use some third party communication driver.

For what purpose do you have to connect your Visual Basic program to the RSEmulate 500 program ?

Ken Roach said:
RSEmulate 500 can take over the serial port and emulate DF1 or DH485 protocol from that port. You could possibly connect from one serial port to another on the same machine, and use some third party communication driver.
If that is correct (and of course it is when Ken says so), then I was wrong before about it not being possible to connect to RS Emulate 500 because there would be no COM port to connect to.

I have only used Emulate 5, and I dont remember that there were any settings for taking over a real serial port. Maybe there is somewhere.