SLC5/03 fault problem

sintosol

Hello...
Our SLC-5/03 CPU module has a problem and can't function properly.
Every other time, after power cycling the Fault light will be steady or blinking.
When it is steady the CPU won’t do anything even talk to PC, when it’s blinking,
It’s blinking with DH485 light together, so it will only aloud download program either
From PC or EPROM and after that runs fine until power off.
If I download from PC, it asks if I want to change channel 0 settings.
Which is making no sent even thou processor reset.
When we tried online with CPU for upload, we got the message as below:

Fault Code = 0002h
Unexpected hardware watchdog timeout or an ASIC reset occurred.
Cannot go online or upload from processor (no program).
You must perform download.

We have program backup, but I can’t download it every time we lost the power.

Now more data;
I put 4slots rack on my table with the only one input and 1output cards, 1746-P1 power
supply and that reseted SLC 5/03 C. I wrote simple I/O two rungs program.
Configured Processor for this I/O setup and everything runs like champ, until I
power it off, then does same as above.
I can’t consider myself as new to PLCs world, but Inever seen such problem before,
And I am redy to learn.

So, Sorry for the long story and is there a way to solve the problem?

Last edited:
A solid fault light indicates a hard fault. When a processor returns this kind of fault, I replace the processor. I would be very concerned about using this processor on any machine. It appears to exhibit the same behavior using a different rack and I/O cards, so it must be the 5/03 itself. I would send it in for repair or just replace it.

Losing main power when your SLC 5/03 processor battery power is low will cause unexpected faults. If your battery checks to produce normal voltage (with main power off), then your processor is probably faulty. Otherwise you may need a new battery.