SLC500 MSG confusion...

matwon

Hello, I don't have alot of experience with the SCL500 and I'm trying to read values from 4 chiller units with the MSG function. I have some experience with the MSG instruction but with Compactlogix and Controllogix cpus.

The units are frick HD Quantum controllers and the following comes from the communication setup manual:

http://frickcontrols.com/uploads/versions/090.040-CS_Quantum HD 2015-09.pdf

To provide for the reading and writing of data to Quantum™ HD panels using Allen-Bradley communication, the Quan-tum™ HD has an Allen-Bradley DF1 communication driver that recognizes either half or full duplex SLC 500 protected typed logical read and write commands (either half or full duplex must be selected). Half-duplex simply means that data can only be sent in one direction at a time (the concept of how a walkie-talkie works). Using full-duplex, data can be sent and received simultaneously (the concept of how a telephone works). This is a Master / Slave multi-drop communication method.

The Quantum™ HD talks Allen-Bradley SLC protocol and is programmed to resemble an Allen-Bradley SLC500 slave station. The customer’s PLC or DCS must be setup to initi-ate the reading and writing of data to a Quantum™ HD. The Quantum™ HD does not initiate any communications. The panel ID number is used as its station address and the target node. With the AB PLC, the MSG (Message) instruction is used to send read and write requests. A DCS (Distributed Control System) will use a SLC 500 DF1 protocol driver to send protected typed logical read with 3 address fields and protected typed logical write requests with 3 address fields to a Quantum™ HD. Fifty (50) data elements can be read with one read.

They also state that:
Frick Controls supports the use of EtherNet/IP (as described on the ab.com website, under the EtherNet/IP heading) with Quantum™ LX software 6.06 and later. Address mapping follows the Allen-Bradley N: format, as shown in the Data Tables under the heading of AB Address.

So, the frick controller "acts" like a SL500 slave but with the DF1 protocol... Is it possible to configure a MSG instruction using Channel 1 (ethernet) and use 500CPU as a target device (see MSG_CONFIG picture)? I also attached a picture (Frick_Quantum_Channel0_setup_and_read_exemple.pgn) with the READ MSG example with Channel 0 from the manuel

FYI: I'm using a 5/05 series C with FRN 6. From my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong but this firmware doesn't support MSG to ethernet/ip drops and the EEM instruction...

Thank you!

SCL500_5_05_INFO.png Frick_Quantum_EthernetIP.png Frick_Quantum_Channel0_setup_and_read_exemple.png MSG_CONFIG.png

Thank you for such a detailed post !

The simplest way to do this will be to use Ethernet.

Your controller is new enough to support both the classic CSPv4 Ethernet protocol and EtherNet/IP, which both transport the DF1 style commands, nicknamed "PCCC".

You don't need EEM support, and the SLC has never/will never support I/O on EtherNet/IP.

"SLC-500 Typed Read with Three Address Fields" is a specific command code in the PCCC protocol. In the SLC MSG instruction configuration, it's just "SLC Typed Read".

In RSLogix 500, change your Processor type from "SLC-5/05 OS500" to "SLC-5/05 OS501 Series C FRN 3-9", which will allow you to configure your MSG instruction to use Channel 1 (Ethernet) and to use "Multi Hop" mode, which switches from CSPv4 to EtherNet/IP.

You'll configure the Multi-Hop table with just one "hop", with the target being the IP address of your HD Quantum.

The Control block will still be 51 words long, as opposed to the 14 words used by a serial port message (DF1 over the serial port).

Thank you for such a detailed post !

The simplest way to do this will be to use Ethernet.

Your controller is new enough to support both the classic CSPv4 Ethernet protocol and EtherNet/IP, which both transport the DF1 style commands, nicknamed "PCCC".

You don't need EEM support, and the SLC has never/will never support I/O on EtherNet/IP.

"SLC-500 Typed Read with Three Address Fields" is a specific command code in the PCCC protocol. In the SLC MSG instruction configuration, it's just "SLC Typed Read".

In RSLogix 500, change your Processor type from "SLC-5/05 OS500" to "SLC-5/05 OS501 Series C FRN 3-9", which will allow you to configure your MSG instruction to use Channel 1 (Ethernet) and to use "Multi Hop" mode, which switches from CSPv4 to EtherNet/IP.

You'll configure the Multi-Hop table with just one "hop", with the target being the IP address of your HD Quantum.

The Control block will still be 51 words long, as opposed to the 14 words used by a serial port message (DF1 over the serial port).

Thanks for the quick reply! I can already setup the MSG instruction with Channel1 and configure a multi hop adress (see picture). Do I still need to change the CPU type?

CONFIG.png

I'm not sure. In past versions of RSLogix, I am almost sure that the selection of CPU type as OS500 prevented the Multi-Hop tab from appearing.

It is best to have the CPU type selected correctly, so that RSLogix will give you the features and functions and instructions available for your actual firmware.

Did some tests today. But I’m getting a “local communication channel is shut down” error code FF

I did a power cycle on the cpu but still getting that error every time I enable The MSG instruction.

Currently, two scadas (fix32 and ignition) and two HMI’sare connected to that plc to get and write data. Also, a bacnet gateway is sending data to the plc.

thanks

Double-check to be sure you haven't used the same Control Block address in another MSG, or have any overlaps. A 51-word block sometimes trips folks up, and there's no automatic conflict check.

Offline, delete the MSG block, and re-create it.

And check again to be sure your message points at Channel 1 and has a valid local and target address.

That error code really does show up if you have a comms channel set for "shut down" mode. I know it also shows on the MicroLogix 1400 if you try to send a Modbus/TCP message when that feature isn't enabled.

Ok I will try that.

I did alot of online modifications on the MSG blocks. Maybe that's the problem...

Is it possible that the two scadas and 2 hmi cause that problem? I'm pretty sure the scada and hmi scans times are over 1 second.