Small and Inexpensive Automation Projects?

mattaho

I was just wondering if you guys have any ideas on what I could do with my SLC 5/03 as far as small working projects go. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Need small challenges!

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Learn to use a sequencer to step through outputs. Understanding the SQO function is very difficult for most beginner programmers (IMO).

Try a traffic light or a washer with the Sequencer, it's a great exercise.

I can think of several Home projects, but the inexpensive part is hard to over come.

Perhaps if you gave us an inventory of what equipment you had, I/O modules, sensors etc...

Someone may come up with a great project.

you can get a lot of bang for less than $50.00 with the ideas in this post ... nothing will actually "move" (sometimes that's a good thing) ... but with a little bit of imagination you can flip "limit switches" and "part sensors" on and off and watch the "motors" (indicator lamps) turn on and off ... chop the tileboard into manageable sizes ... make a conveyor ... a press ... a parts stacker ... an elevator ... whatever ...

4' X 8' sheet of tileboard = about $10.00
cheap wall switches = about $0.60 each
Christmas tree lamp bulbs and sockets = 50 for about $5.00
magic markers in various colors = about $5.00
hot glue gun to mount sockets = about $5.00

note: don't get the tiny little "when-one-goes-out-they-all-go-out" type of Christmas tree lights ... you want the "too-hot-to-hold-in-your-hand" variety ... something about 4 to 7 watts ...

suggestion: ... if you decide to go this route, post a sketch of what you plan to set up ... we might be able to suggest improvements to make it more realistic ...

You could do a Christmass light show, but syncing it to music would be another story... How elaborate it would be would depend on your available I/O.

jglass said:
There are a variety of projects at this web site.
How about a wire EDM running on a plc?
www.outbackmachineshop.com
Jim

Hey Jim,

How do you like that Jet Lathe? We have one JUST like it, but it also has a removable gap; for 18" I think. My big complaint is the power switch is on the BACK of the gear box (hard to reach in an emergency), and the reversing handle is easy to bump. Kinda usafe.

I'm planning a home plc project myself. But I doubt that it would be considered small or inexpensive.
( To do this depends on what you have at home. )

I found inexpensive pressure and temperature transmitters here.

A 200 psi transmitter with a 4-20mA output is $75.00 US. A great bargan for a transmitter.

My plan is to do away with the cheap consumer grade timers and pressure switches around the house. I have a water well where I'll replace the pressure switch with a pressure transmitter and relay. I'll add a pressure transmitter and temperature probe to my swimming pool pump. ( the pressure transmitter so I can add a setpoint to the HMI to tell me when I need to backwash ) and maybe even replace my thermostat for AC/Heating with a temperature transmitter and replace the AC's relays with 24vdc relays.

These are just a few ideas. It may seem like overkill but I'll get realworld automation experience learning at home.

Good luck with your project.

Mike