Small product manufacturing opportunities for inner cities and helping the homeless

Good Evening ,

This sound like a strange idea. This has been on my mind and heart for several years. We have a homeless and drug issue in our small city . My idea is to create a very small manufacturing facility in the inner city . The reason I thought of this is to pull people out of a poverty and drug addicted state to once again build something, build good relationships, learn to help others, etc.

I know several years ago ,I was asked to stop at a facility to look at a machine that would not run. It was in a small business park. When I walked in they only had 2 packaging machines . This operation was just taking the kool aid powder , and filling the kool aid envelopes. Simple operation. The problem was a safety relay .I fixed it ,and up and going again.

My thoughts are to have a receptionist ( learning these skills ) , a plant manager ( learning those skills ) , Machine Operators ( Learning those skills ) , etc.

My question is , do you know of any small business / manufacturing opportunities that are available , that larger business's no longer want to be bothered with , but are a safe investment for a community.

I know it's a crazy idea .

Thanks in advance , and have a good week.

Good Evening ,

This sound like a strange idea. This has been on my mind and heart for several years. We have a homeless and drug issue in our small city . My idea is to create a very small manufacturing facility in the inner city . The reason I thought of this is to pull people out of a poverty and drug addicted state to once again build something, build good relationships, learn to help others, etc.

I know several years ago ,I was asked to stop at a facility to look at a machine that would not run. It was in a small business park. When I walked in they only had 2 packaging machines . This operation was just taking the kool aid powder , and filling the kool aid envelopes. Simple operation. The problem was a safety relay .I fixed it ,and up and going again.

My thoughts are to have a receptionist ( learning these skills ) , a plant manager ( learning those skills ) , Machine Operators ( Learning those skills ) , etc.

My question is , do you know of any small business / manufacturing opportunities that are available , that larger business's no longer want to be bothered with , but are a safe investment for a community.

I know it's a crazy idea .

Thanks in advance , and have a good week.

It's not at all a crazy idea, not by any stretch and I bet you will have so much support you would soon expand.

I don't have direct answer to your question, consider where I am, but I suggest you make "announcing your project" your top priority. You want as many people as possible to know and specially organizations that provide community support for the groups you aim to help

You’ll do great!

Start at ground zero. Why is there a drug and homeless issue in the city? What are these peoples problems? How are you going to help them with their problems and reform them so that they can perform in a job? Why are there so many issues with homelessness and drug abuse in North America with all the prosperity there is?

I guarantee you finding a job is the least of their concerns (ie mental illness). I encourage you to talk to social workers and councilors in the area. Maybe work with the type of people you want to help in a more basic manner (like a soup kitchen) before you decide to bring them into a manufacturing environment. I'm not saying this is a bad idea, or that it wouldn't be helpful to these people, but it might provide some perspective as to how you could run an operation such as the one you describe, more effectively. You probably already have done all of this, but hey, this is just totally my opinion man.

My hat off to Baker in Virginia for the initiative.

One obstacle will be that the authorities in the city will be very afraid of any accident may happen with old equipment and non-expert persons operating said equipment. Even if it is well-meaning, they don't want to risk a litigation law-suit.

So, it might be necessary that someone takes on the task of inspecting that everything is safe.
If a machine is so old that there is no documentation or it is obviously unsafe, then that person may possibly have to do the entire task of risk assessment - evaluation - implementation - documentation - and training the operators.

The problem was a safety relay .I fixed it ,and up and going again.
By doing that you might be called responsible if there is an accident.
I am pretty sure that in the US it is 'you touch it you own it'.
Just throwing a bit of caution in there for your sake.

Thanks for the responses

FYI ,
• The city will be totally responsible for this operation and financing. I will serve on the board , teach , etc.

• I agree . These folks really need Christ in their lives , through him they will learn purpose . We need strong biblical counseling . We have a major problem with drug addiction and homelessness in the US . Some of it , the result of “social engineering “ that has happened for decades .