So what is everyone's educational background, and what is your current occupation?

Started messing with basic electronics as a child (just lights, batteries, switches, radios, and things, you know) and read Electronic Communication by Robert L. Shrader in 7th grade, giving me a good understanding of how most all electronics work.

Started programming in 6th grade with QBasic on MS-DOS and have done many projects for work/personal in many computer languages since. What really got me into "serious" programming was making AutoLISP extensions for AutoCAD for a few different employers, which launched me into the realm of real-world programming vs. novelty Hello, World! type stuff.

First relevant job I had was electrical drafter for Diamond Power in Ohio, which taught me the fundamentals of industrial panels, electronics, PLCs, etc. This was a few years after high school. After that I got a BS in mechanical engineering at The Ohio State University. O-H!

Now working as a project engineer/manager for an oil & gas OEM. Small company so I basically handle all the electrical/mechanical design/drawing and all the PLC/HMI work.

I concur with Tom about the value of a farm background. After 3 years in Army communications, I got an Associate degree in Electronics. PLC's were not commonly used at that time.(1972) First job was service Tech for a printing and office equipment company. Then a tech and engineer for an aerospace manufacturer. The last 32 years I have been self employed as a system integrator and service tech. I also teach short, non credit courses in automation subject areas through Southeast Community College in Lincoln, Ne. It's still all fun!

Would you think you'd be as knowledgeable in your field if you hadn't had that physics and mathematics foundation taught to you? And I don't mean that as a rude comment. I'm just wondering if you think that foundation can be learned on the job.
I said I relied on my math and physics I learned in college but that was only one years of physics, one year of calculus and 2 terms of differential equations. Even so much of that has been irrelevant. When I was in high school I know I wanted to be an engineer of some sort but I didn't make up my mind until it was time to sign up for classes.

I could solve differential equations but no one said what they are really good for. They were just problems to solve to get a grade. I am sure it has been like that for many here. Learning Runge-Kutta and Laplace transforms was a biggy. I just sucked that up and after not using them for 25 years I find them useful again. Most things I did learn on my own using Mathcad. It took the drudgery out of doing complex math.

PID was barely covered when I went to college. When biasing an OP-AMP one needs to know how to make integrators, differentiators, and simple amplifiers but they were never applied to controlling anything but an electrical signal.

In short I learned perhaps 5% in college. No where was there a class on how to make motion controllers. Much wasn't even possible when I was in college.

I have a PhD from the school of hard knocks - Some college, but so long ago it is useless. Been a PLC/PAC programmer for over 25 years. Machinist and then Service Tech before that. Basically all self taught.

I still program some, but I am now the manager of our Engineering Dept.

Have mechanical and electrical engineers and one fellow with a physics degree reporting to me. Have two other PEs who are sort of dotted lined to me.

Most important thing to me is that I think I have assembled a great team.

It's hard to believe that when you qualify it by saying "pieces of paper". It's not the paper that is important, but the potential it represents. Obviously my 12 years experience is worth more now than the B.S. that got me here. But that B.S. was more than just a piece of paper when I had zero experience.

I guess I have become very cynical over the years. I find it very hard to deal with graduate engineers who have been working for a consultant engineer and know everything after 6 months! One day I was discussing a design from one of these young guys and a client and put up my point of view for a control system design. He asked me what my qualifications were and I told him. He came back with the comment 'well I am an engineer!' I then asked him if that meant he could calculate voltage drop! 6 months with a consultant and he was trying to tell me how to do control system design when I have spent a lot of my working life doing that. Find that a bit rich. I am sure many will know what I mean.
I also find it a bit hard to swallow when someone with a very new piece of paper is considered a better prospect than someone who knows controls and has been doing them for years - that is all I am saying.

Have also met some excellent young engineers but they have been in the minority - prefer working with the older ones who have been doing it for years. One young guy was excellent - perhaps late twenties - electrical and mechanical engineer - did bot degrees after doing his trade as an electrician. Could even write computer code as far down as Fortran and machine code. We both spent 6 months bouncing off each other with a very complex control job and learned a heck of a lot from each other. He was working for government and was really prime pickings for the private sector.

Most important thing to me is that I think I have assembled a great team.

Well done - that is one of the hardest things to do. Takes a lot of skill.

Nuclear field electrician A school in the Navy. Then factory electrician for awhile, then in 1996, yeah, I can program (oh, but I was so so wrong) took a job writing as a contractor for Goodyear. Luckily I was surrounded my some awesome programmers. Then a field service mechanic for Glass Equipment Development, then Engineer Level 1, then stripper, then comedian, then programmer again. Now alcoholic self employed.

Last edited:
I am the third generation of licensed electricians in my family.
Worked together with both my father and grandfather before college where I studied to become an electrician and also managed to do take all courses in automation and CAD.
Started working in the family business after college (industrial automation). Started out with maintainance and minor revisions of drawings.
The guy doing the electrical system designs got fired soon after I started, and it didn't take long until I figured out why. What a mess he left..
So I got a crash course in system designing, learning as I went along and by studying every cabinet I came across.
Couple of years went by and the guy building the cabinets decided to go hang himself, so I got his job as well. Wasn't too bad, saved a lot of time when I got to do both the drawings and cabinets. Synergy as the big companies love to call it!
Went back to school for 2 days per week to study to be able to become a licensed electrician. Finished that and got my license as one of the youngest to ever recieve it in Sweden.
By the same time we got a lot of work, bought another company so I got to manage 8 electricians. They werent very pleased having someone in their early twenties telling them what to do :D
Couple of more years went by and my dad suffered a stroke and I got to manage both companies. He did all the magic code for the PLC's, so I got to take a crash course in programing as well (the courses in college werent worth much).

So the only thing I have a degree as is as an electrician. System design, programing and work management has more or less been self taught. I tend to have more trust in people who are self taught then the ones with a fancy diploma, simply because they obviously have interest in what they do.

It's been hard, but I have enjoyed the ride and still do!

BobB your posts made me laugh! Reason being that I can really relate to what you wrote. I've lost count how many times I've "flattened" consultant engineers from the biggest consultant companies. Just a couple of weeks ago I got the biggest consultant company in this country kicked out from a customer, just by questioning a detail of their solution and proposing another that would save the customer 25k$.
Let's just say I really enjoyed that moment :p

Different outlook on life Friedrich from the school of hard knocks I think! Doing it the hard way has benefits. I guess the other way does as well.