Some advice to an old new PLC student

toolman001

Hi guys I think this foram will be great for me. My question is as follows: I need to learn PLCs. A trusted friend told me to learn AB first and everything will come easy after that; is that true? If so I went and ordered a lot of training materials on PLCs and AB. I was also told I needed a cheep AB to learn on. That's where you guys can help. I have the opportunity to purchase an AB SLC 500 1747-L532 SLC 5/03 at a good price around 100-175 dollars.
Should I do this or am I getting the cart before the horse?
Thanks in advanceo_O

That's where you guys can help. I have the opportunity to purchase an AB SLC 500 1747-L532 SLC 5/03 at a good price around 100-175 dollars.

If you have the software then go for it... its a good PLC to start

If you do not have the software (RSLogix 500) then get a MicroLogix 1000 or 1100, the software is the same but you can use the free version with these PLC's

AND enjoy

what kind of IO cards come with the slc?

id try and go with the micrologix 1100. it costs more, but you get ethernet, di, do, and ai.

I've recently fielded similar questions.

Can anyone post a link to help with downloading the free software for the platform mentioned above?

I know it is posted here on this site but if you wouldn't mind sharing it in this post it would tie up the loose end, and yes - save me the trouble of looking for it. Thanks.

Hi guys I think this foram will be great for me. My question is as follows: I need to learn PLCs. A trusted friend told me to learn AB first and everything will come easy after that; is that true? If so I went and ordered a lot of training materials on PLCs and AB. I was also told I needed a cheep AB to learn on. That's where you guys can help. I have the opportunity to purchase an AB SLC 500 1747-L532 SLC 5/03 at a good price around 100-175 dollars.
Should I do this or am I getting the cart before the horse?
Thanks in advanceo_O

Has your friend used Siemens :ROFLMAO:

No siemens knowledge YET

I encountered a siemens PLC in 1984 and was lost. However I got the machine fixed after replacing an I/O card. Just had no idea what made it work. I have a huge amount of respect for their product and know it is an industry leader, and I want to learn it. At age 62 I am launching into the industrial control full throttle. I just compleated my certifications on Yaskawa and WEG drives. Have done electrical all my life just on a lesser level.
Thank God my mind is blessed in that direction, I plan to stay young this way, and make up for my wasted pass. In my area there a lot of AB PLCs and was told to learn them and the others will be easy. I have been told many things that were less than accurate. However I am moving forward. THANKS