SP5000WAD Proface HMI & Modbus TCP/IP Encoder

ZestyMozzarella

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone has some experience in this because I'm at wits end ready to tear my hair out lol. I have a SP5000 Series Proface HMI and I'm trying to read in data from an AMCI NR25 Encoder (I'll attach the PDF).

On page 76 of the encoder manual, it states the input data I'm trying to read. In the proface system settings, I'm using the schneider electric SA TCP Master service. My encoder IP is correct and word order is L/H.

I have the scaled position value reading in just fine, but no matter what I try in configuration or scaling, the velocity data just comes in frozen and doesn't do a thing. I know the word address is offset by 1 and I have accounted for that, again position reads in no issue but the velocity word area is always frozen.

I'm wondering if anyone has Proface modbus experience here that could possibly elude to the proper configuration or perhaps what I'm doing wrong. Hopefully I'm supplying an adequate amount of information. The encoder counts per turn is 0 to 65535 and the encoder is set to display RPM in it's own configuration. I know my issue is on the Proface side as I can look at AMCI's software and see the live position data and it matches what I see live in Proface but again, velocity data is frozen no matter what I try.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to offer in advance. Appreciate any community support on the matter.

Encoder Format.jpg Schneider Config.jpg Word Monitors.jpg

Attachments

• NR25-ethernet-rotary-encoder_-_0D094.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • mod_tcpm.pdf
    293.3 KB · Views: 0
Posting self reply for future readers. Issue has been resolved. My assumptions were correct that while the device registers and normal input registers are generally in the "4" designation range, the Proface drivers see input register commands in the "3" command line. The proface driver also has an offset starting at 1, so the encoder registers residing in 0-7 is 1-8 in the Proface command lines.

The encoder data was as expected seen here for Proface commands:

300001 (32 bit data format) - Scaled Position Data
300003 (32 bit data format) - Velocity Data
300005 (32 bit data format) - Raw Position Data
300007 (32 bit data format) - Time Stamp Data

One would normally expect those commands to be 30001, 30003, etc. but Proface inputs an extra zero in the command line for some reason. The word order was also default L/H format and the max query size in the device settings was lowered to register amounts as sometimes high query settings can cause issues.

What ended up happening was that through either multiple configuration definitions of choosing 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, multiple scaling options, using the encoder AMCI configuration software...I expect somewhere along the line of testing multiple data configurations, the data in the velocity register either errored out or froze on me. I ended up using ModScan 64 (a modbus utility for testing external devices), and it confirmed the same data I was seeing on Proface telling me it was more the encoder than it was the proface communication problem. I ended up cycling power to my PoE switch and encoder, reseated cables and now the velocity data is reading in as it should!

All roads lead back to power after two days of tearing my hair out LOL. Trust your gut in these matters and when in doubt, cycle power I suppose.

Last edited:
Resolve

The modscan utility I used was found here:

https://www.win-tech.com/

I'll attach additional Proface documents I found useful in troubleshooting the modbus comms for future readers. It turns out no scaling was needed and a generic basic format was fine for addressing the proper locations, just had the unexpected corruption of the velocity register requiring a power cycle. They say the more you know the better off you are and now I know.. :)

Velocity Data Register Example in Proface Numeric Display.jpg Changing Query Sizes per Proface Device Manual Tips.jpg

Attachments

• APNT1168.pdf
    150.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: