SQL, RSView Question....

just_lionel

Hello All,

I have searched and have read many posts until I am a little more than confused.

I need to log data from two separate pieces of equipment that will allow our QA department to view and print records of conveyor speed, temps, level's etc. I need to these variables every fifteen minutes.

I know that excel is out of the question due to its limitations. The equipment is controlled by RSView HMI's (RSview ME). Do I need to set up the ODBC settings through here? Or can I log straight from the PLC and push into SQL Express?

I think I have to do it through RSview, but I want to make sure! Any help would be great!

Thanks guys!

RSView won't help you in the way of SQL data logging. Neither will any AB PLCs. Your options are between a hardware or software data logger.

As a rule of thumb, your hardware data logger is more like an appliance - it should have less potential for failure than the PC (The DB runs on a PLC, so ensure that the device does local caching). Hardware devices tend to be less flexible than their software counterparts. There's a recent thread on X-Coupler, available as a Control Logix module. It's well recieved here.

In contrast, software based data loggers run on a PC, which is usually more flexible and powerful, but less robust. In general, I wouldn't categorize either approach as easier or more difficult to configure. The PC as a platform is obviously something that you should run in a more controlled environment that depends on the network for connectivity. In the Rockwell world you're talking about FactoryTalk Historian. I'd also recommend considering a 3rd party OPC data logging application like FactorySQL.

just_lionel said:
I need to log data from two separate pieces of equipment that will allow our QA department to view and print records of conveyor speed, temps, level's etc. I need to these variables every fifteen minutes.

I know that excel is out of the question due to its limitations. The equipment is controlled by RSView HMI's (RSview ME). Do I need to set up the ODBC settings through here? Or can I log straight from the PLC and push into SQL Express?

I think I have to do it through RSview, but I want to make sure! Any help would be great!
Thanks guys!