SST-PB3-CLX Profibus Scanner

prog224

Hi guys,

I am in need of some advice from people with experience with the above.

I am currently replacing a client's SST-PFB-CLX profibus scanner card with an SST-PB3-CLX as part of a full control system upgrde project. The original i/o configuration is not available on the engineering pc and I have tried 2 options to acquire and download the i/o configuration to the new card, neither successful.

I installed the SST Profibus configuration tool on the engineering pc and I tried searching for the PA devices on the network using the new SST card but only found 2 instruments out of 100 using both the ethernet option and RSLinx option. I have tried all baud rates but I knew beforehand 93.75 kbps was the correct option from the segment coupler manual.

I also tried connecting the SST Profibus configuration tool to the existing SST card to upload the existing i/o configuration without success. The manual says it is possible but I cannot get it to work. If I use the RSLinx option in the configuration tool I get an error 'opening rslinx connection to TCP-1 failed'. RSLinx Gateway is installed on the engineering pc. If I select the ethernet option in the configuration tool I get an error 'failed to read module id'.

How do I get the i/o configuration from the existing card or create a new i/o configuration by searching for new devices?

The card is on the plc rack. The plc is AB v30.011. RSLogix v30. RSLinx GAteway v3.9. All instruments are E&H PA using Pepperl Fuchs segment coupler. Connection from pc to plc is via ENET module on the plc rack.

Update

Hi guys

I've made some small progress into getting the sst-pb3-clx working.

I have connected to the old profibus scanner via serial interface and null modem cable and uploaded the slave configuration using the configuration tool. I was also able to find all devices on the network and go online. All devices are good except the 2 broken instruments I already knew about.

However when I connect to the new scanner via serial I still can only find 2 devices on the network and when I downloaded the configuration from the old scanner to the new scanner it still doesn't work. I know the card is starting because it reads 225 (decimal) on data input word 0. The bus is also running because that bit is set so it seems to start up properly. All other input words are 0.

I am going to review the operation, in the manual, of the reserved input and output words that the scanner uses for configuration to try understand what is wrong.

Also, the rslogix project I am using has the example program for the sst-pb3-clx. I can use the same project with both scanners. So I am using the same sst configuration project with both scanners and the same rslogix project with both scanners and the old sst-pfb-clx works fine but the replacement sst-pb3-clx is not working.

One last point. When I uploaded the configuration from the old scanner I got a warning about data areas overlapping. I had no option but to change the data offset.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.