Step 7/Win CC, Can't attach database to SQL server.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to use a copy of my (new) customer's Siemens Step 7 project files to further my knowledge of Step 7. I archived his project files today and tried retrieving them tonight, but I get this window when I try to open up the screens in WinCC. I don't know why I would get this, or how I address it. I thought if you archive the project it would include all of the applicable project details. Any ideas?

WinCC.png

The path and folder names sound more like WinCC Flexible.
Can you expand the project folder in Simatic Manager and do a screenshot?
Or right click the project in Simatic Manager and go to properties and let’s see what software is used in the project

There’s much to learn grasshopper haha
You sure your not trying to open a newer project with an older version of WinCC Flexible?
Also let’s see what the project uses and what you have installed

From Simatic Manager go to help then installed software

Last edited:
Am I sure....? Well, I was hoping I could still open the 5.6 with my 5.5... at least to explore. I knew there might be a snag, but didn't expect this.

5.6 is Windows 7... probably 64bit. 5.5 is XP and 32bit.

....dang!

I'll check WinCC. I suspect the same thing.

Last edited:
Don’t confuse Step 7 with WinCC Flex
They are different
Step7 is for plc programming and Simatic Manager is the framework
WinCC Flexible is for the hmi portion. WinCC Flexible does use a cut down version of sql.

Don’t confuse Step 7 with WinCC Flex
They are different
Step7 is for plc programming and Simatic Manager is the framework
WinCC Flexible is for the hmi portion.

Right, I knew this. Just like "Starter" is used if you click on the drives.

I had my fingers crossed that I could open the screens and see how the addressing occurs... versus AB and Red Lion.

5.5 was a free upgrade from 5.4. I don't expect 5.6 would be free... thoughts?