Stepper motor help/can I open .s7p files with Tia Portal v17?

marko18

Hi all,

I am starting a project with motion control and currently have a few stepper motors that I want to get working with a S7-1200 CPU.

The specific motor is a SMD23E2-130E-M12

The website for this motor has a few sample files for basic stepper motor control, here is the link:

https://www.amci.com/plc-automation...es-integrated-stepper-motor-controller-drive/

I first tried to use the Siemens TIA Portal sample programs but when I opened the project it would not allow me to view or edit any of the function blocks, it would only let me view data tags and would tell me I don't have a TIA Portal Professional license if I tried to access the function blocks. I believe I have a more basic license.

Instead, I tried downloading the Siemens Simatic S7 sample programs files from that website, but it won't let me open any of them in TIA Portal V17. Is there a way I can open the .s7p that was included for the motor or are these files incompatible with TIA Portal v17? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have no sample project, but there is this manual:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/109754206
There is a chapter "stepper motor on the PTO".

I dont know the sample program that you have, but it is probably for an S7-300 PLC programmed with STEP7 Classic.
You can convert a STEP7 Classic program to TIA, but I think that it wont work on the S7-1200. I am guessing that the program must use some system functions to use the PTO output, and these system functions are different in S7-300 and S7-1200.

On the website there are sample programs for TIA as well as for Simatic Manager.
The .s7p program is for Simatic Manager. So try to get the TIA version instead.

I should have read your post more closely.
Exactly what message do you get when you try to open the TIA program.
It is possible that some blocks are protected. But you can still use the blocks for your own program.

Last edited:
We use these but the Applied Motion versions.

You don't need to open the FCs, they are just passing the data to/from the drives. You only need to focus on the Main OB, that is the only logic you need to change.

I have just opened the Axis Follower Sample program.
I can open and view all blocks no problem, with the exception of OB91 MC-servo and OB92 MC-Interpolator.
OB91 and OB92 are automatically generated by TIA when you setup the motion functions in the S7-1200 project, and they are not intended to be modified by the programmer.

I have just opened the Axis Follower Sample program.
I can open and view all blocks no problem, with the exception of OB91 MC-servo and OB92 MC-Interpolator.
OB91 and OB92 are automatically generated by TIA when you setup the motion functions in the S7-1200 project, and they are not intended to be modified by the programmer.

The error I get when I try to open the block is "License "Step 7 Professional" Was not found". Which is making me think the license version I have (Basic, i believe) will not support Stepper motor functionality?

I opened the Axis Follower sample project, and it is with an S7-1200 CPU which you should be able to open with TIA STEP7 BASIC.

It does say that it uses the support package "S7-1200 motion control". But I dont know of this is included on STEP7 PRO and not in STEP7 BASIC. Maybe someone else can chime in ?
I think that you ought to be able to open the project with STEP7 BASIC. It sounds crazy that you have to have a special license to program a PTO stepper motor.

We use these but the Applied Motion versions.

You don't need to open the FCs, they are just passing the data to/from the drives. You only need to focus on the Main OB, that is the only logic you need to change.

I also cannot open the Main OB, it says Step 7 Professional License missing

AMCI project shown contains a 1516 , thus the reason for your message
But this particular one is a profinet device

Is this the one your trying to look at?

amci v1.jpg

AMCI project shown contains a 1516 , thus the reason for your message
But this particular one is a profinet device

Is this the one your trying to look at?

Yes it is. So this sample code is for an S7-1500 CPU? I've got an S7-1200. Why won't it let me access any of the blocks with my Step 7 Basic license? Would I need to upgrade? Thx