Strange Micrologix Issue

esamuelson

Yesterday I went up to replace what I thought was a bad IF2OF2 card. Any 4-20mA device attached to the first input port would show an approximate value (tank level) but jump around wildly (varying by about 3-5%) leaving a big fuzzy line on the trends.

Switching transducers would make the one attached to the first port read strangely (eliminates the idea of a bad transducer). When I check the current with a multimeter or panel meter through the input card, it's rock solid right where I would expect it to be.

I put in the new card and the problem still persists. I checked the circuits, everything is +24V -> transducer -> input card -> -24V.

It may be related to a problem with this PLC I've also been having. I can't do any online edits, it tries and then says "Online Edits Failed" and the spinning ladder logo goes into hyperdrive and I have to go offline and download program changes.

Are we looking at a bad PLC or what?

It might help a little if you tell us which Micrologix you have.

Are there unused channels on your analog card? It sometimes helps to short out unused channel.

My apologies, its an ML1100. The communication problem is over Ethernet.

There are 2 transducers, and an old IF2OF2 and a new one. I've tried all combinations, but it seems that only one of the ports (out of 4) is reporting accurate values.

There is an issue with online edits with your ML1100 see PDF below.

As far as your analog problem goes , check and double check grounding.

If the signal is rock solid with a multimeter and you have ruled out a bad transducer as well as a bad module, I'd say the problem is most likely in the wiring. If this is a new problem has anything recently changed or been added? Are you using twisted shielded pair with proper grounding?

Just seen a similar issue myself with a controllogix combi card (which is a "High-Speed" card).

I was getting the "Rate-of-Change" alarm, even for slow signal changes.

I got a scope on it and traced high-frequency noise back to the 24V power-supply.

This PS is a switched-mode model, changing it to a linear PS would be the answer, or I can add some additional smoothing etc.