"Struggling" RSLogix500 to Cognex Barcode Camera

Marc P.

Struggling!! I have a Dataman 100 Cognex barcode camera with Cognex I/O board. I have established comunication with the camera and the I/O board but cannot figure out how to communicate the camera to a Micrologix 1400 PLC. Project overview is that I am trying to use a barcode scanner to scan a code then generate a singnal through a plc that is corresponds to that barcode. That signal will then call up a Fanuc robot program for that part through the robots internal I/O board. I am doing it now with push buttons but that was always supposed to be temporary.

What's the question?

Did someone already scoped the setup so it suppose will work together? What physical connections and protocols are available between the camera/plc/robot?

Marc P.,

what is the size of the cognex I/o board and how many signals
do you need to send to the plc?

I have not used a dataman unit but I have used the upper end units several years ago.

here's what I remember.

The cognex system reads the barcode.
The system then will associate that barcode with a digital output to the plc input. The outputs are programmed with the cognex software.
The plc will then send a signal to the fanuc robot.

hope this helps,
james

Thank you James and Harryting for the replies. I am new to the PLC world so my knowledge is limited to say the least. The Cognex I/O has 6 usable outputs which would probably be enough if I could make them barcode specific. But from what I've experienced and been told they are not. I can set certain output to activate for a read and others for a non-read scenario but that's it. Cognex said I would need a PLC for anything further than that.

I can plug the Dataman sensor into the Cognex board through USB/DB9 connector and then the I/O board to the PLC through RS232 connection. The PLC lights up when its plugged in to 120v but I am at a loss on what to do next.

I have the RSLogix500 software loaded onto my computer but how do I establish communication between what I ladder program and the PLC.

Again, I'm new to this so I apologize for my incompetence.

in addition to the plc software, you will need the cognex dataman software. since I have never used the dataman before, I will state what I do with the higher end units.

The 6 outputs from the cognex I/o board will go to 6 inputs of the plc.

Use the cognex software to program in each barcode. since you have 6 outputs, you can turn on multiple outputs on the I/o board and likewise, you will turn on multiple plc inputs.

Program the plc inputs accordingly.

I'm sorry to say, but this is as far as I can help.
I no longer have the cognex software or work in West Tennessee, the plant moved to Iowa.

regards,
james

Given your answers you have a large amount to learn. If this project is due soon I would suggest hiring an experienced programmer and learning from that person while the projecct is developed.

If you do have a large amount of time to learn and complete this project (or after that project is done if you take my first suggestion above) then start by reading the entire Micrologix 1400 Manuals - both install and instruction set. Practice creating simple RSLogix 500 programs and running them on the Micrologix PLC. Perhaps using tutorials and simulations from TheLearningPit will help. You must learn about serial communication to understand the ASCII serial commands which will be necessary. You will have to use string commands to utilize the returned barcode effectively.

Good luck.

sounds like you have three BIG pieces to the puzzle to deal with ...

I have the RSLogix500 software loaded onto my computer but how do I establish communication between what I ladder program and the PLC.
I suggest that we start with that piece first ...

do you have RSLinx (communication software) already loaded on your computer and running? (choose an answer: yes, no, or I'm not sure) ...

do you have a serial cable to fit between the computer and the PLC? (choose an answer: yes, no, or I'm not sure) ...

do you have an Ethernet cable to fit between the computer and the PLC? (choose an answer: yes, no, or I'm not sure) ...

if you have RSLinx - and a serial cable available - feel free to call me ... I'll walk you through the first big piece of the puzzle ... it should take about ten minutes - IF (big IF) you've got the hardware and the software ready for action ...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me. With your help and videos I've been watching I have a lot of things to try.

Thank you very much to Ron Beaufort for the help and directing me to this forum. I just watched a great video on RSLinx done by Rajvir Singh that should help greatly.