Student Version of Rslogix 5?

farmboy_jon

Does anyone know if there is a student version of Rslogix available?
I cant seem to find anything on their website and was wondering.

Thanks

There's a significant discount for technical colleges to buy Rockwell Software, but there's no "Student version" per se.

RSLogix 5 is the editor for a big-time controller that runs big-time processes and the price matches. You can start a minor tornado on this discussion board about the wisdom or justice of that price, but it's a fact nonetheless.

There's an extremely low-priced version of RSLogix 500 software that's just become available, and it just loads programs into their lowest-end MicroLogix controllers. But then, those are smaller controllers for smaller systems.

Last edited:
If you want RSLogix so that you can program an actual PLC then the Rockwell software is the only way to go.

On the other-hand, if you are just interested in practicing your new programming skills, and getting a handle on using RSLogix, then LogixPro will do the job. It's available at http://TheLearningPit.com

I see the bait but I just can't resist. Having defended AB/Rockwell in the past because of their excellent phone and local dealer support. I still can't understand why they don't provide a learning or trial version of their softwares. There are a lot of thing they can do on the trial version such as disable saving, limit number of rungs, time limitation, etc.. etc... They did provide a time limited version of Contrologix 5000 on CD a while back but I think that was an absolute time limitation (expire after a certain date). I really can't think of any harm in doing so. Rockwell, are you listening?

bonkhead

That would definetly make my life easier, we are only allowed so much lab time at school, and having the software really helps to figure things out

LogixPro is surely helping me out, but it seems to be missing some things

Ken Roach said:

There's an extremely low-priced version of RSLogix 500 software that's just become available, and it just loads programs into their lowest-end MicroLogix controllers. But then, those are smaller controllers for smaller systems.

Just curious about the part number for that cheap RSLogix 500 software? The cheapest I've seen is $500 US for a starter version. Is that cheap? As for learning edition software, the reason Rockwell $oftware doesn't want us to get a learning copy of RSLogix for cheap is that they TEACH COURSES on programming that they charge thousands of dollars for and don't want you to learn anything on your own.

If they would just let us all get trained, those of us who choose which PLC to buy in the future will want Allen Bradley since that is what we know. This is where companies like Automationdirect.com will slowly sneak up behind the AB giant and take over their market share.

Vetteboy

(sigh.)

Remember our original querent is going to school to learn on PLC-5's and wants to do homework. Probably he pays tuition of some sort. Maybe his technical college needs to pay their instructors and build their labs. Rent and salaries are funny that way.

I was obliquely referring to the new 10-point MicroLogix controllers that can be programmed with a free version of RSLogix 500 Starter software. Yes, free. You get it from the same download site as everything else, it just doesn't require a serial number.

Re: (sigh.)

Ken Roach said:
I was obliquely referring to the new 10-point MicroLogix controllers that can be programmed with a free version of RSLogix 500 Starter software. Yes, free. You get it from the same download site as everything else, it just doesn't require a serial number.

Thanks for your calm response Ken, I know I was ranting. I was not aware of this free version. I have searched for it and cannot find it anywhere on the download site. Do you have a URL? This would really come in handy for the people who want to learn AB stuff.

Thanks,
Vetteboy

Thanks, Eric. I was looking in the downloads section of the Rockwell site, not the Micrologix section. There you go Farmboy_Jon. A definitive answer. Yes, you can get a free student version of RSLogix from Rockwell's site. Most of the commands you will be learning should be in RSLogix 500, even if you are using RSLogix 5 in school.

RSLogix freeware not usefull at at!!!!

When you, like most programers, need to comment your bits and ladders, and can't, it becomes a bit frustrating. Now, the college I attend has paid for an entire lab to be set up with RSLogix 500 and 5, but that does NOT mean I get unlimited access to it! My workplace, which pays for my tutition, also has a cap on what they will reemburse a semester, so this is also not an option. I know about LogixPro, but I'm not sure if a program written on it will be recognized and executed correctly(feedback appreciated on this.)on RSLogix.

My point is, the technicians DO have a say in this. If Rockwell can't see the need for reasonably priced software for students that is NOT stripped to the point of uselessness, then students should vote with their pocketbooks and force the colleges of their choice to go to another vendor(Keyence perhaps?) I attend MCC in AZ, and will be discussing this with the instructor and department head tonight. Because folks, its not the vendors who determine what PLC's get used, its the people who support and repair them who do.

Last edited:
Sorry to tell you that the FREE RSLOGIX 500 software you boast about is no longer FREE or available, at least according to the link in your 2002 reply. Its 2009 (almost) and nothings free except bailout money for AIG and BANK OF AMERICA so they can pay their executive bonuses. You can try the WAYBACK machine. More Cowbell dude...

Last edited: