Studio 5000 Errors When Attempting to Download: Invalid Signature

squiggz

Hi, I'm trying to add ethernet modules to one of our plcs, but I get about 15 errors that say "Invalid Signature. Reseal instruction to resolve." when I go to download the altered project into the controller.
They all appear to have to do with AOIs in the program. I've never seen this before. How do I "reseal" it? Or will clicking "Remove" on the AOI definition signature screen do the trick?
If so, what would that mean and would it have consequences?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image (12).jpg
    image (12).jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 17
The compile error occurs because AOI's causing the compile error in the .ACD file have a signature applied, and there is a signature mis-match when the project is compiled.
The usual unexpected cause of this error is changing the major version of the Logix project offline. Sometimes, but not always, this messes up the signature checking.

Applying an AOI signature is used to monitor for user changes to the AOI definition. Make a change to the AOI, signature no longer matches. This is obviously important for safety applications.

The anomaly here is the major version change can cause having to create a new signature, when no user changes have been made to the AOI, while a user change always requires a new signature.

So if a signed AOI has a different signature than the original, either:
1. If the major version is different than the original, the AOI signature may have been affected by the version change, or there has been a user change. Best way to check is to use the Logix Compare Tool to determine if there are any differences in the affected AOI's Definitions between the original and current instances.
2. If the major version is the same as the original, then there has been a user change. To find what was changed use the Logix Compare Tool.

To fix the compile error:
For both of the above cases, open the AOI Definition and delete the existing AOI signature and then reapply the signature to generate a new signature.
If the AOI has been source protected, then the source protection key has to be present on the computer to allow unlocking the AOI to delete and apply the signature.

Changing a Safety AOI's signature in a safety application has implications for operation, liability and documentation, as that signals something has been changed.

The compile error occurs because AOI's causing the compile error in the .ACD file have a signature applied, and there is a signature mis-match when the project is compiled.
The usual unexpected cause of this error is changing the major version of the Logix project offline. Sometimes, but not always, this messes up the signature checking.

Applying an AOI signature is used to monitor for user changes to the AOI definition. Make a change to the AOI, signature no longer matches. This is obviously important for safety applications.

The anomaly here is the major version change can cause having to create a new signature, when no user changes have been made to the AOI, while a user change always requires a new signature.

So if a signed AOI has a different signature than the original, either:
1. If the major version is different than the original, the AOI signature may have been affected by the version change, or there has been a user change. Best way to check is to use the Logix Compare Tool to determine if there are any differences in the affected AOI's Definitions between the original and current instances.
2. If the major version is the same as the original, then there has been a user change. To find what was changed use the Logix Compare Tool.

To fix the compile error:
For both of the above cases, open the AOI Definition and delete the existing AOI signature and then reapply the signature to generate a new signature.
If the AOI has been source protected, then the source protection key has to be present on the computer to allow unlocking the AOI to delete and apply the signature.

Changing a Safety AOI's signature in a safety application has implications for operation, liability and documentation, as that signals something has been changed.
Thanks Mike. I'm going to attempt to download tomorrow. However, I also just noticed that the whole controller is safety locked. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I have not dealt with this before, but I should still be able to download w/ the safety lock on, right? I have removed the AOI signatures and verified the controller and it looks good to go, I just want to double check.
Thanks.

Yes, as long as you're not modifying any safety AOI's (which you can't even do offline without unlocking the safety first, so presumably you haven't) you're fine.