Studio 5000 & FTView Studio SINE Wave Generator

DenZ_P

Hello Experts,

I am trying to create a SINE Wave generator and i cannot seem to make it smoother. I have done this before but i forgot the exact formula i used and the the computation. šŸ˜…

SineWave_Trend.PNG

What i used is the equation of sine wave i saw online which creates a shift and then amplitude of 4.0. I have attached the trend i used as well for you to see the settings in the my trend.

Logic.PNG

thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Sinewave.zip
    19.6 KB · Views: 3
What is the frequency of your computation...is it in a periodic task? What are the settings of your trend? Doesn't look like a computational issue, looks like a sampling issue of the data in your trend.

I also just noticed. Your output value appears to be a DINT. You don't have any fractional values. Change your target tag to a REAL.

What is the frequency of your computation...is it in a periodic task? What are the settings of your trend? Doesn't look like a computational issue, looks like a sampling issue of the data in your trend.
Hello @robertmee thank you for your response. I have uploaded in the original post an export of my trend to show the settings. I use continuous task. How or where can i check the sampling in Studio 5000? Because i think even though the sampling.
Task.PNG

Oh man! You're so great Robertmee. I did not noticed i used DINT. I was figuring out why i don't have decimal values and i focused a lot more on my computational error. Now, it looks really good! Thanks a lot!
SineWave-Corrrect.PNG

Again! thank you!

Last edited:
@robertmee Also, reason for this little project of mine is that i am trying to understand rockwell motion as well where in the machine have certain cycle that it needs to follow and for each movement distance that will be related by degrees there will be specific actions on the machine in relation with it's position in the cycle.

I'm on a plane with just my phone, so don't have a lot to immediately offer in terms of adjusting formula. I would suggest you look at using periodic tasks that execute on timed intervals instead of a continuous task which can vary in scan time and execution of your logic depending on load. Also look at using the PLC clock instead of a timer. If you Google Rockwell Logix Sine Wave Generator there are a couple of good threads that will show up from here with various methods.

I'm on a plane with just my phone, so don't have a lot to immediately offer in terms of adjusting formula. I would suggest you look at using periodic tasks that execute on timed intervals instead of a continuous task which can vary in scan time and execution of your logic depending on load. Also look at using the PLC clock instead of a timer. If you Google Rockwell Logix Sine Wave Generator there are a couple of good threads that will show up from here with various methods.
I initially used continuous task because i was trying to create a sinewave cycle thinking it should be continuous and that this would effect on smoother lines. But then when i try to trend this in FTView trend object, it's not smooth at all as the fastest sampling rate is only 50mS in FTView. In studio 5000 trend fastest is 10mS. I will try the periodic task and update here. Thanks again @robertmee