Studio 5000: Upgraded Controller v20 to v34, AOI prohibiting file upgrade.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on a project, adding a couple large machine components to an existing Control Logix L71S. The original program was written in v20. I noticed that the controller *could* be upgraded to v34, so I flashed the CPU to v34, assuming the program file would convert, as well. If you are one of the guys knowingly shaking your head right now, how do I get past the AOI issue killing the conversion? I have all the RSLogix and Studio versions, the original program file, and a tech connect contract. Is this a simple thing? You can give me a 'big picture' view of the solution and I'll take it from there.

...there is a solution, right?

Brian

I'll see if I can attach a picture from my phone. I'm just leaving the customers site right now. I Googled the error, and got comments about aoi being the cause. It seemed to make sense, cuz there's plenty of that in the original file.

20230519_143943.jpg

One of the suggestions for that error message is to open the existing file (v20) and export it (Save As) an L5K format. Then once it is exported. Open that L5K file (import). That will tell it to rebuild the entire application. Make sure you assign a new name so you don't overwrite your original file.

When you import it, you might even try importing it as a v34. You can elect the version to use for the import.

OG

I opened "Save As" from the menu, and as soon as I saw the .L5K file option, I remembered doing it before... just not recently. It's all loaded now, as a v34 file. Thanks!

Brian