Studio wont open project away from desk

DannyD303

Running a new computer and installed Studio and Factory talk components. For Studio I installed every version up until 20 then I used Rockwell's Ver33 Multi version for 20 and above.

For some reason I can open all of our programs that we have saved to the network server at my desk. The second I go to the floor and try to open a program, it gives me a fatal error "Access Violation Error"

I've tried opening studio 5000 first as admin and get the same result.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Just to be clear, when you 'go to the the floor and try to open a program' are you using the same computer/laptop that works at your desk, or a different one?

Can you copy the program to a local directory and then open it?

What happens if you try to create a new (blank) program on the floor and then save it to the network server?

Can you copy the program to a local directory and then open it?

Just had this with the new laptop. On my desktop I could access our public network where the programs are stored and open them. On the laptop I couldn't open them.

I ended up creating a folder on the desktop for the programs, copied them all to it from the public network. Then I was able to open them from the public network folder no problem.

I've always had problems opening files that are in a remote location on a NAS type device.

copy it to your local PC and try again.

something happens when studio tries to make it's working files while it's open.

something happens when studio tries to make it's working files while it's open.

Well spotted. That may indeed be the issue. When the Logix software opens an application it creates working copies of that file. It creates those in the same folder where the file resides. So if you only have read access to that remote location, it might well generate this type of error.

So the advice to copy to the local machine is the quick way around this. The problem with that is that each computer has their own potentially different copies of the same application stored locally.

Ideally, make sure both computers have read/write access to the remote folder.

OG

Well spotted. That may indeed be the issue. When the Logix software opens an application it creates working copies of that file. It creates those in the same folder where the file resides. So if you only have read access to that remote location, it might well generate this type of error.

So the advice to copy to the local machine is the quick way around this. The problem with that is that each computer has their own potentially different copies of the same application stored locally.

Ideally, make sure both computers have read/write access to the remote folder.

OG

I have read/write access to the NAS where files are stored, I imagine this is more to do with how the studio5000 program itself is accessing the location. maybe running in administrator will allow it to work remotely?

I had an issue with v20 (I think...it's been a while) where it would do weird things like that when I tried to work on a file stored in a remote directory. My PC had read/write permission on that drive/directory (after all, I put the files there in the first place with that PC). Working with a local copy worked. It could have something to do with network speed and connection quality as well.