Surge protection for PLC

plcsoftvsd

Hi Gurus,

What is the best protection for PLC ar any electronics instrument from surges and inrush voltages ( especially if the PLC panel is fed from a feeder having 13.8 kv> 380 3 phase 4 wire VAC transformer as the incomer.

Every time the transformer is energised or has a voltage fluctuation on 13.8 kv side there will be surge at the secondary voltage.

Is there any product available to take care of this surge?

The scheme is 13.8 kv (500 kva) > 380/230 vac > 230 vac to PLC

I need to put this device before the 230vac power supply reaches PLC.

cheers.

Hi Gurus,

What is the best protection for PLC ar any electronics instrument from surges and inrush voltages ( especially if the PLC panel is fed from a feeder having 13.8 kv> 380 3 phase 4 wire VAC transformer as the incomer.

Every time the transformer is energised or has a voltage fluctuation on 13.8 kv side there will be surge at the secondary voltage.

Is there any product available to take care of this surge?

The scheme is 13.8 kv (500 kva) > 380/230 vac > 230 vac to PLC

I need to put this device before the 230vac power supply reaches PLC.

cheers.

A good quality UPS will solve this problem as well as future problems.

I typically use an Islatrol Plus IC+105, but that's a small load on 120VAC control power.

I've also used the Islatrol Elite model for CE applications. Its DIN rail and the connections are touch-safe.
That would put you in a 5amp IE-205, 10amp IE-210, or 20amp IE-220

If you use a UPS as we do, make sure it is atrue "online UPS" and not just a back up power source. A true "on-line" UPS will provide better filtering. We use Lieberts. I have also used IT surge supprssor on the incomming line to avoid any high voltage spikes to the UPS.