Switching from VirtualBox to VMWARE...need help

loggains017

Myself and another coworker are switching from Oracle Vbox to VMWARE, and are currently using Dell Latitudes. ( I Know not ideal)

However, I have never set up or configured a VMware Machine so I was hoping someone could shoot some pointers out or maybe there is a Rockwell tech note? Any info is appreciated, thanks

Specs;

8GM RAM
1TB
64 bit
Windows 10
Looking to use Workstation Pro V15

I am using Win10 and VM 15.5 myself. 15.5 handles USB devices much better than previous versions. Most folks seem to have the most issues with network adapters. I usually find bridged works best for me. With only 8gb ram, I would allocate 4 gb to anyone VM, and never run more than one. I find things work better if the host retains 4 gb. We run 16 gb machines, and Rockwell seems okay with 4 gb per VM, but Siemens seems to need more, I usually give the 6 or so. With 16gb ram, I often run two VM's at once.

I have Win XP and Win7 VM's running on mostly Win10, with one Win7 Ultimate PC.

VMWare is relatively easy to setup and get running. Almost all the settings are left default. The only thing I add to them is the shared folder.

When I get one running good I copy it to a network drive, and them make copies for each use. I have a Rockwell VM, Siemsns, Mitsubishi/Omron (together) and some special ones for specific controls (llke Parker CompuMotor servo programming)

Make sure you turn off the snapshot feature otherwise it takes a copy (snapshot) of your VM program when ever it is set to (power off?). This rapidly makes the VM a very large size.

If you have slow XP machines and AVG on the host you have to turn off "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization".

My VMWare seems to turn this back on every time I upgrade it.

How many processors and cores do you have?

My usual base setup is

2 core 2 processors (if running several VMs at the same time make sure you have the hardware)
8GB RAM
80GB hard drive (dynamic so you can expand later if you need to)

I recommend having SSD either your main or second drive. I generally don't like having my VMs on the C drive.

As far as networking, I like to just share the NIC but it makes exploring in RSLinx harder but I just hard code my IP addresses anyway. (In a pinch have a USB ethernet, because when something is down and you can't connect it works.)

When setting up your licenses I've gone away from using a shared drive and just setting up a host/guest network. This way the network is always functional even if I'm not sharing/bridging my NIC. (So activation manager is installed on the host.)

VMWare works with USBs way easier but you can't have USB 2.0 and 3.0 at the same time. So if your USB isn't working you might need to check if you are configured for the right one.

edit - Also for WinXP you have to remember its old operating system, so I think the max RAM it can handle is like 4GB and don't recall if it has a processor limit.

Last edited: