tank formulas?

The Egyptian pyramids were built so that the ratio of its perimeter to height is 2pi, and the earliest know references to pi are found on ancient papyrus, so it should be evident to any fool (think Dilbert-ism) that since the calculation of a cylindrical tank volume involves pi and the Egyptians discovered the ratio of pi, that the calculations must be done using Egyptian cubits. The Egyptian cubic was a more exact measuring unit than just the length of a forearm (which varies), the Egyptians used engraved copper bars. The Egyptian cubit was 1.72 ft (20.64 inches or 524mm) long.

So measure your tank and convert your measurements to Egyptian cubits.

• If you are measuring in feet divide all the measurements by 1.72.
  • If you are measuring in inches divide all the measurements by 20.64.
  • If you are measuring in meters divide all the measurements by .524.

Once you have done this then make your calculations using the numbers you got. Your answer will be in Cubic Cubits. Now you have to convert that to something you can use in modern units.

• To convert cubic cubits to cubic inches multiply by 8793.
  • To convert cubic cubits to cubic feet multiply by 5.09
  • To convert the cubic cubits to cubic meters multiply by .143878
  • To convert cubic cubits to gallons multiply by 38
  • To convert cubic cubits to liters multiply by 144

🍺

Just having a little fun here.

Last edited:
Firstly - I can't think of a scenario where anyone would want to know the weight of the water in the tank, surely that would only be used to calculate the volume, i.e. how much water is in the tank.

Secondly, using tank dimensions to calculate the volume (weight) is going to be only an approximation. Even the most skillful tank manufacturers can't get them perfect.

Thirdly, most dished-ends of tanks are not part of a sphere, very often they are made up in sections with different radii, a tighter one near where the dish-end joins the cylindrical sides. Sometimes even a cylindrical tank with multiple radii dished ends is set horizontally on a slight tilt as well. So you are going to need some very complex math to get a good volume figure.

So it is a complex issue, made even more complex if the tank has "inclusions", such as mixers, heat exchanger coils, etc.

And that is why most people who want an accurate tank contents choose to use load cells of the tank legs, and measure the contents by weight. A simple conversion to volume is then done, adjusting for density if required.

Sometimes the contents of external pipework/heat-exchangers etc. must also be included as tank contents, making it even more complex, so another option is to use a level sensor in the tank, but then to get the volume from a look-up, or dip table.

Interpolating between "above" and "below" look-ups is often done, and the more look-ups or dips in the table the better. Obviously, the dip-table has to be created, usually by filling progressively using a certified flow-meter, and recording the level at known volumes.

Last edited:
The OP may have tanks that contain liquid sugar or chocolate enrobing. These are typically displayed in LBS or KG.
Level sensors are calibrated for inches of water column, so knowing the weight of water and applying the SG, results in weight of sugar or chocolate.

I agree with your statement about level sensors versus load cells. I keep telling customers, think of a level sensor as a car's gas gauge.