Telemecanique Inductive Proximity Sensor

memberpeace

Hi everybody

I use Telemecanique XS1M30MA230 inductive proximity switch in one of my application. It is attached to a moving body. It is working OK. It is suplied with 24VDC.

I have a trouble in a situation that I do not want it to sense the metal. I can not remove the metal or remove the switch. So I need to cover the metal frame with something. And I do not know with which material or tape or paint or etc it should be. I need somebody's help.

Peace,

This is an interesting question, what material will shield magnetic force?

I did some quick experiments with a stong magnet. Plastic tape did not work until I applied 5 layers. However, a plastic bowl did the trick first time and every time. It keeps the magnet from sticking to a big piece of metal. The bowl was about 1/32" thick. It think it was made from thermoplastic of some type, maybe Teflon.

Tip: Cut the wire and install a switch to turn off the proximity switch in this situation. Alternatively, install a cut-off contact in the PLC program.

Last edited:
You will need a second proxy/flag to detect your situation - it's either that or you will have to move the metal you are detecting or replace it with a different material.

memberpeace said:
Hi everybody

I use Telemecanique XS1M30MA230 inductive proximity switch in one of my application. It is attached to a moving body. It is working OK. It is suplied with 24VDC.

I have a trouble in a situation that I do not want it to sense the metal. I can not remove the metal or remove the switch. So I need to cover the metal frame with something. And I do not know with which material or tape or paint or etc it should be. I need somebody's help.
the question I have is there a PLC in the circuit? If so I agree with using it to ignor the part it is sensing at the right time. I suggest using another sensor for timing.

bob

thanks guys

I set a timer as a watchdog after measured the cycle time. I stopped the machine to raise in that time delay and it worked very well. But I think installing another switch is a better idea and safer. So I will do that. Thanks again

installing another switch

yes another machine timing devise is best. you may get away with a timer for the moment but, you will constantly have to adjust it to compensate for the changes in machine speed. another devise would always be in time with the machine.

bob