Temperature transnitter - ouput plc compability

raguilas

Hi I 'd would like to buy an specific temperature transmitter but I'm not sure if this transmitter output is compatible with the PLC analog input.

The PLC model is siemens S7-200 and the temperature transmitter is Autonics TK4S-14CR

Transmitter:
http://www.amazon.com/Autonics-TK4S-14CR-Control-Current-100-240VAC/dp/B00TXX8IT0

this is the datasheet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byj1aGNydpjeYjRDeUpacGd5RjB3ZFViWGdmNmRLV2tucUhZ

In this datasheet says that it provides current in the ouput, but I think that this PLC needs an array or something to work with current, I've heard but not sure, if anyone know I will appreciate it, thanks in advanced.

have agreat day :)

If you have a S7-200 224XP, then that has an on board +-10V Analog Input. To use it with your 4-20mA transmitter, you will need some sort of high accuracy resistor with the right resistance (V=IR?).

If you purchase the analog input expansion module 6ES7 231--0HC22--0XA0 then you can select 4-20mA in software.

Hope that helps. The info is not available on the data sheet, but it is in the PLC-200 system manual available below:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/attachments/1109582/s7200_system_manual_en-US.pdf

The Autonics is NOT a temperature transmitter, it is a single loop PID/on-off controller. Its 4-20mA output is designed as a control output signal for driving a valve positioner or an SCR/thyristor controller.

There is a high probability that the 4-20mA output can NOT be configured to retransmit the temp sensor input.

If you want the analog signal to represent the temperature, confirm that the 4-20mA output can be configured to do that, because on many controllers, it can not.

The Autonics is NOT a temperature transmitter, it is a single loop PID/on-off controller. Its 4-20mA output is designed as a control output signal for driving a valve positioner or an SCR/thyristor controller.

There is a high probability that the 4-20mA output can NOT be configured to retransmit the temp sensor input.

If you want the analog signal to represent the temperature, confirm that the 4-20mA output can be configured to do that, because on many controllers, it can not.

Thanks for your observation danw

how about this device, I think I could use this as a transmitter to send the temperature to S7-224 XP:
Honey well model DC1010CR-301-000-E-0
http://store.isengineers.in/dc1010cr-301-000-e

would it do the work? this is the datasheet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byj1aGNydpjeSVk1RjBOMUZGU3VQRnJxNDVqZkZVaVZCZDZV

on this datasheet says something about being compatible with 0-10V output signal(page 2), am I getting it or did I misundertand it?

best regards

Last edited:
>could use this as a transmitter to send the temperature to S7-224 XP:

No, not the model you show.

The third output is what Honeywell calls 'Aux Out' and Aux Out does what you want - it is configurable to be the sensor's (PV) value (assuming your sensor is on the sensor list). The Aux Out upper and lower range limits are adjustable as parameters CLO3 and CH03.

The wiring diagram shows Aux Out (+) and (-) on terminals 11 & 12;

However, Aux Out is optional, it is not standard; the option is the letter Y in the part number
DC10x0xx-xx-Yxx-x
where Y is a numeral or letter for 4-20mA or 0-10V or whatever.

Problem is, your model number does not have any Aux Out signal.

If you need a temperature transmitter, you might consider buying a temperature transmitter, not a controller

Head mounted temperature transmitters are small and inexpensive:

They are designed to mount in a 'head', but most, if not all, have an optional, inexpensive bracket for DIN rail mounting.

head_mounted_temperature_transmitter.jpg

SIEMENS_SITRANS_TH_HEAD_TRANSMITTERS.png

There are probably 100 vendors for these things.

They are always 4-20mA output and need a 24Vdc power supply in the circuit to make them work.

There are 3 wire or 4 wire temperature transmitters that can provide a zero based voltage output (0-10V), if that's what you need, but they're typically DIN rail mount modules.

The important thing is to find a vendor who will configure the output range for you, or find one with very low cost software and hardware cables/adapters because the software/hardware can cost from $50 to $7,000.

You know what range you need, 0-200 Deg C (for 4-20mA), or whatever it is, so be certain that you can either afford to buy the software/hardware to make the change yourself, or but the transmitter ranged to your specific range

If you have a S7-200 224XP, then that has an on board +-10V Analog Input. To use it with your 4-20mA transmitter, you will need some sort of high accuracy resistor with the right resistance (V=IR?).

If you purchase the analog input expansion module 6ES7 231--0HC22--0XA0 then you can select 4-20mA in software.

Hope that helps. The info is not available on the data sheet, but it is in the PLC-200 system manual available below:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/attachments/1109582/s7200_system_manual_en-US.pdf

Thanks for your reply AustralIan, I don't have any expansion module, I'm gonna try using this honeywell transmisor:

http://store.isengineers.in/dc1010cr-301-000-e

If you need a temperature transmitter, you might consider buying a temperature transmitter, not a controller

Head mounted temperature transmitters are small and inexpensive:

They are designed to mount in a 'head', but most, if not all, have an optional, inexpensive bracket for DIN rail mounting.

head_mounted_temperature_transmitter.jpg

There are probably 100 vendors for these things.

They are always 4-20mA output and need a 24Vdc power supply in the circuit to make them work.

There are 3 wire or 4 wire temperature transmitters that can provide a zero based voltage output (0-10V), if that's what you need, but they're typically DIN rail mount modules.

The important thing is to find a vendor who will configure the output range for you, or find one with very low cost software and hardware cables/adapters because the software/hardware can cost from $50 to $7,000.

You know what range you need, 0-200 Deg C (for 4-20mA), or whatever it is, so be certain that you can either afford to buy the software/hardware to make the change yourself, or but the transmitter ranged to your specific range

Thanks for taking the time to give me your advice, I live in Mexico I couldn't find any vendor that could provide me the transmitter(0-10) you mentioned above, instead I found a vendor that offered me this products instead:

http://www.ifm.com/products/mx/ds/TP9237.htm

http://www.ifm.com/products/mx/ds/TM4311.htm

so I'm going to buy those but I'm gonna take your advice for further school projects because like you said, it's a really affordable option when it comes to save up money and one can use accuracy resistor (AustralIan advice) if current/voltage convertion needed.

have you all a great weekend and really appreciated everyone's help.

Best regards =)

case closed

Thanks for taking the time to give me your advice, I live in Mexico I couldn't find any vendor that could provide me the transmitter(0-10) you mentioned above
According to the manual at the link you provided, that IFM has a 0-10Vdc output:

0_10_Vdc_output.jpg

one can use accuracy resistor (AustralIan advice) if current/voltage convertion needed.
It's a 3 wire, voltage output temperature transmitter. A voltage output does not use a precision shunt/dropping resistor. Its output signal (pins 2 and 3) connects to an analog input with a high resistance input (1M ohm, typically.)

IFM_3_wire_TT_0_10_Vdc_output.jpg

According to the manual at the link you provided, that IFM has a 0-10Vdc output:

0_10_Vdc_output.jpg

It's a 3 wire, voltage output temperature transmitter. A voltage output does not use a precision shunt/dropping resistor. Its output signal (pins 2 and 3) connects to an analog input with a high resistance input (1M ohm, typically.)

IFM_3_wire_TT_0_10_Vdc_output.jpg

sorry I just noticed, what I said was contradictory.... what I meant when I said I dind't find any vendor was for this siemens transmitter(0-10V output signal):

but I did find ifm efector transmitter(in mexico) wich I think works for the porpouse of sending the 0-10V output signal to the S7-200 224XP analog input.

As this ifm efector transmitter sends the 0-10V ouput signal then the acurray resistor won't be needed, but with your comment now I see a I will need a high resistance input(using 1Mohm resistance)

did I get your comment? right?

your comments are really helpful =)