Test your knowledge on Allen Bradley PLC's

Greetings Robert ...

I'm teaching right now so very little time ... one thing that I noticed: there is no processor on the I/O configuration ... how do you have outputs listed as O:3/0 when there is no listing in the data table for a module in that slot? ... plus Controller Properties shows an SLC-5/05 - not 5/04 as you mentioned ...

my best guess so far: your system is not configured correctly for the test ...

fanquiz2.JPG

gotta go ... will check back later ...

this is getting weirder ...

it's "TEST.RSS" in the zip that you sent ... looks like the driver is EMU500-1 ... maybe an emulator file? ...

maybe you posted the wrong one? ...

EMU is the right one...I was going to play around with it on the 500Emulator to see what it did.

Last edited:
I must be misunderstanding you ... the quiz question is not designed to work on an emulator ... the key part of the exercise is the effect of the loss of 120VAC power through the field device ... with the emulator, there is no field device ...

do you have a real-honest-to-goodness system available to try it on? ...

Ron,

It was already tested on a real honest to goodness SLC 5/04. This was at a customer's site in their test lab. See the remarks about pulling the plug. The Emulator I'm simply setting up in my office as I don't currently have a SLC 5/04 rack. I was planning to use this file just to get the emulator working. Let me see if I can find the original unadulterated file on my laptop that I used at the site, although it is exactly the same file with the exception of using the DF1 driver for communications.

I know that we're just having a communication failure ... my students are working on wiring exercises as we type ... I'll try to check back later - probably after work ... this is interesting - so please carry through ... I'd like to see the final resolution ... maybe I can give you a call later this evening ... that's GOT to be easier than typing ...

Ron,

Yeah, and it is partly my fault. I should have taken the time to find the 'ORIGINAL' unadulterated file. But that requires hooking my laptop up...You know the drill :)

In any case, as fortune would have it, I found the original file. It was in my recycle bin still on the laptop. And it is a good thing too. I mistakenly selected the wrong version of 5/04 in the test file I sent you and that could make a difference. As I indicated, the customer has old 5/04s. They aren't C's but B's. Here's the actual file. I'll delete the other ones in case anyone's following this thread (OR not...the edit time expired).

Give me a shout later when you have some time.

Last edited:
It's definitely not a setup problem. Again, these are units that have been in service for awhile in a test lab. I suspect the issue is with the older firmware and that the 'B' units don't operate the same as perhaps the 'C' units that Ron uses. That's all supposition as I don't know for sure what revs Ron has.

Robert ... sorry that I didn't have time to call yesterday ... it might be next week before we get a chance to talk ...

the main things that I'd be interested in as a start would be the (1) size of the power supply ... and (2) is anything connected to the 24VDC output terminals of that supply? ... (3) we're not dealing with anything like a "surge suppressor" or UPS in the circuit are we? ...

like I said, I've tested this repeatedly on different SLCs and never seen anything other than the results I indicated ... if you've come up with something else (and it certainly looks like you have) then I'd be very interested in nailing down what's going on ...

wish I had the chance to dig into this right now - but duty calls ... I !WILL! get in touch with you - but it's got to go on the back burner for a few days ...

Ron,

I'll have to get back to you on the supply size. But, no there is nothing connected to the 24VDC terminals and there is no UPS involved. The 120VAC from the PS connects to an outlet via a standard pigtail plug. All I did in my experiment is pull the plug. The same 120VAC to the PS is also supplying the 120VAC to the selector switch and the 120VAC to the output module.

Do you have a series B processor to test with?

Last edited:
well, Robert, this is one for the books - but at this point I’m not sure exactly what book to put it in ...

first let me say that I have very little doubt that you saw exactly what you say you saw ... but ... based on everything that I know about the system, it couldn’t happen that way ...

let’s start with what the official Allen-Bradley book has to say on the subject ...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um011_-en-p.pdf

here are some pertinent excerpts taken from page 70:

LOSS OF POWER SOURCE

The chassis power supplies are designed to withstand brief power losses without affecting the operation of the system. The time the system is operational during power loss is called program scan hold-up time after loss of power. The duration of the power supply hold-up time depends on the number, type, and state of the I/O modules, but is typically 20 ms ... 3 seconds.

INPUT STATES ON POWER DOWN

The power supply hold-up time as described above is generally longer than the turn-on and turn-off times of the input modules. Because of this, the input state change from On to Off that occurs when power is removed may be recorded by the processor before the power supply shuts down the system. Understanding this concept is important. Write the user program to take this effect into account.

the way that the quiz question NORMALLY works is that the IMMEDIATE loss of 120VAC power through the NORMALLY-CLOSED contacts of the input device in the field APPEAR to be an OFF signal on the PLC’s Input Image Table ... specifically, IMMEDIATELY upon the loss of field power, the bit/box on the Input Image Table changes from a ONE status to a ZERO status ... the tricky part is that the PLC CONTINUES TO SCAN for a certain amount of time before it shuts down due to the loss of field power ... during that period of “hold-up” time, the XIO instruction is evaluated as a TRUE condition - and that causes the OTU to write a ZERO status to the output bit/box ... then later when the power is subsequently restored, the output device in the field will NOT turn back ON as intended ...

as I said, that’s the way it’s SUPPOSED to work, and I personally have NEVER seen an example of any other type of operation ...

now then, ever since you’ve reported a different type of operation in your experiment, I’ve been wracking my one remaining brain cell trying to figure out HOW that could be happening ...

here are some of the things that I’ve come up with which COULD cause the results that you’ve reported ...

(1) the output might have been FORCED ON ... but ... the program that you provided shows no sign of a force being applied ... and you clearly said that you had “TOGGLED” the bit ON - rather than using a force ...

(2) the input might have been FORCED ON ... but ... once again, the program that you provided shows no sign of a force being applied ...

(3) the I/O Slot Enable bit for the output module might have been written to a ZERO status ... but ... the program that you provided shows that the I/O Slot Enable bits were all in their normal ONE status instead ...

(4) the input module might have been a DC type ... but ... the program that you provided shows a 1746-IA16 which of course is a 120VAC type module ...

(5) the “unlatch” rung might not have been scanned ... but ... the program that you provided indicates that the rung WAS set up for a normal scan ...

(6) some other instruction (for example a Latch) in the program might have turned the output bit/box back to a status of ONE ... but ... the program that you provided indicates that there were NO other rungs in the program ...

(7) an HMI device might have been continuously writing a ONE status to the output’s bit/box ... but ... surely you’d have noticed and reported anything like that ...

as of right now, I’m out of ideas ... if I come up with anything in the future I’ll let you know ...

in the meantime, here’s something that might prove interesting in case you get a chance to do another experiment on the same system ...

robertmee2.JPG

the idea is that the value in F8:0 should increment whenever the system is powered down in the manner which we’ve been discussing ... if the value DOES increment, then it would be an indication that the “TRUE APPEARANCE” of the XIO is indeed working as the quiz expects it to ... (every time I’ve tried the experiment this way, the value shows at least 100 scans or so - each and every one of which SHOULD unlatch the output’s bit/box) ... so if F8:0 does indeed increment, the question would then become: why the heck doesn’t the bit/box get written to a ZERO status? ...

finally (at least for now) ... finding “weirdness” like this is one of the most entertaining parts of my job ... if there’s any chance that you could make this system available for me to play (correction: WORK) with for a few minutes, I’d certainly enjoy that opportunity ... I’d pay considerably more than pocket change for a chance to see what’s causing this system to act the way you’ve reported ...

thanks for the puzzle ... never a dull moment around here ...

Ron,

Items 1-7 are in the expected state. The program is what it is with no other extraneous influences.

I'll add the counter to see if that adds any additional info. I'll see if I can't video record it too. It may be a week or so before I can get back to their lab, but I'll attempt to do some further testing.

If the second go 'round proves out what I saw the first time, you are welcome to come see it for yourself, no cost to you other than travel. Next time you are in my area, I could easily arrange it.