Test your S7 Knowledge

I got a perfect score, but if you use S7 a lot, it was pretty easy. I think a few of those would trip up someone who was new to Step 7 though.

did anyone take the S5?

whats wrong with this pic?? is this a trick question? or is it just me :oops:

Edit: thanks for the link... cool, BTW I got this one right
opps.gif

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with the pic. What are you seeing?

Jesper, what did you find ambiguous with those questions? The only one that I had to think twice on was the one that asked what a valid analog address would be for the S7300 PLC. In the 400, you can change the PI area range, so both PIW128 and PIW256 could be true. But if only one of them could be true, then it would have to be PIW256.

The address in the second rung, the first NC contact has a address of '1'4.2

either it was a type error and should of been a 'I'4.2, that address would of failed when you tried to compile

or....this is a good address and I go back to reading and learning :D

S7Guy said:
I don't see anything wrong with the pic. What are you seeing?

Jesper, what did you find ambiguous with those questions? The only one that I had to think twice on was the one that asked what a valid analog address would be for the S7300 PLC. In the 400, you can change the PI area range, so both PIW128 and PIW256 could be true. But if only one of them could be true, then it would have to be PIW256.

That one got me, but so did quite a few, never hid the fact that not good (experienced) with Siemens.

I did good on the S5, very bad on the S7

Ron take the general motor control test... and no cheating by looking at you site for the answers

Edit; not very general... lot's of WAG's but still very interesting

Last edited:
geniusintraining said:
I did good on the S5, very bad on the S7

Ron take the general motor control test... and no cheating by looking at you site for the answers

I do not have a clue about Siemens product overall and the questions are definitely Siemens specific.

if you don't know, just read and dont reply....

rsdoran said:
I do not have a clue about Siemens product overall and the questions are definitely Siemens specific.

Maybe a good reason to refrain from participating in this topic.....?

S7Guy said:
Warning, dont read this if you havent done the test as it could spoil it for you.

1: "What is the name of the primary programming port on an S7 CPU?"
Answer d: "MPI"
Answer e: "MPI-DP".
As some CPUs have a MPI/DP port, then the last answer could be interpreted as "MPI or DP".

8: "What is a valid analog input address for an S7 300 series controller?"
Answer c: "PIW128"
Answer e: "PIW256"
You can set an analog input to within the proces image, and you can load a P address even if it is inside the proces image.
The question is only for if it is a valid address, not if it makes sense.

9: "When is the PII updated?"
Answer a: "Prior to execution of OB1"
Answer c: "At the end of execution of OB1"
Obviously the whole sequence runs around in cycles. I have also seen some official statements that the cycle is OB1 - PIQ - PII - OB1 etc.

12: "What is the prefix for a timer preset variable?"
Answer c: "T#"
Answer d: "S5T#"
T# (TIME) is as valid as S5T# if you consider a timer preset for an IEC timer. Remember that the IEC timers are always available (as SFBs).