the MSG instruction communication path

Sym_Boots

Hello,

I am using a Compactlogix 5380 PLC and need to read values from a few existing PLC 5s, other Compactlogix PLCss, and a few Controllogix PLCs. It will be difficult to add each device to my PLC's I/O tree so I wanted to use message instructions and type in the correct path but I am confused on how to do this. I don't quite understand the numbers involved with the path but I have an idea. Everything will be over ethernet IP so I believe all my paths need to start as 2, (I.P. of desired PLC to read) . Following that to read from the control logix it would be (slot number of the Ethernet card) , (Slot number of plc). To read from a compactlogix plc I don't believe I need any numbers following the I.P address, and to read from the PLC5 I'm not sure what I need.

I know this question is detailed, but if anyone could explain the number path requirements and what each number means for a Contrologix PLC, a Compactlogix PLC, and a PLC 5 that would be very appreciated.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Page 167 talks about the path.

Here is a path example from a CompactLogix with built-in EtherNet/IP to a ControlLogix with an EtherNet/IP module (slot doesn't matter) and a controller in slot #3

2, 192.168.1.100, 0, 3

That breaks down as:
2 = Out the EtherNet/IP port on the CompactLogix
192.168.1.100 = The IP address for the ControlLogix EtherNet/IP module
0 = Go from the Ethernet module to the chassis backplane
3 = The slot # for the ControlLogix controller

Here is an example from a CompactLogix to another CompactLogix. Each has an EtherNet/IP port built-in. You'll see that is much easier.

2, 192.168.1.101

OG

Here's the way I do it.

In an offline project add the destination device as it exists on the network. Add that device name on the Communications tab. Verify there are no errors with the MSG instruction config. Then delete the device from the I/O tree. The Communications tab will have the path expanded. Copy that to your final MSG path.

In an offline project add the destination device as it exists on the network. Add that device name on the Communications tab. Verify there are no errors with the MSG instruction config. Then delete the device from the I/O tree. The Communications tab will have the path expanded. Copy that to your final MSG path.

If only they would allow the same depth of browsing within the MSG address dialog itself. So many electrons would be saved...

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Page 167 talks about the path.

Here is a path example from a CompactLogix with built-in EtherNet/IP to a ControlLogix with an EtherNet/IP module (slot doesn't matter) and a controller in slot #3

2, 192.168.1.100, 0, 3

That breaks down as:
2 = Out the EtherNet/IP port on the CompactLogix
192.168.1.100 = The IP address for the ControlLogix EtherNet/IP module
0 = Go from the Ethernet module to the chassis backplane
3 = The slot # for the ControlLogix controller

Here is an example from a CompactLogix to another CompactLogix. Each has an EtherNet/IP port built-in. You'll see that is much easier.

2, 192.168.1.101

OG

When I sent up the path from my compactlogix PLC I had to use the path 3, 192.168.1.100 etc. I used that path to read from both compactlogix and contrologix PLCs. The manual you posted clearly says 2 but that didn't work for me and I'm not sure why. If anyone else has this issue try 3.

If you’re using a 5380 CompactLogix in Dual-IP, the Ethernet ports are 3 and 4. In DLR mode, or with earlier series, the sole Ethernet port number is 2.

Path specification is relatively straightforward. 2 parameters only needed for each "hop".

Port, Destination,

... then repeat those until the target is reached.

If any part of the path spec is "known" (i.e. included in the I/O configuration), then the numbers are replaced by the name of the "connection".

You could do something along the lines of a Universal Gateway. The one linked below handles all of the communications so there is no ladder logic or I/O tree configuring. The only thing the PLC’s need is tags/data files that the gateway can write to and read from (which can be any tag or data file available globally including ones that are already in use). The advantage of using the gateway is when PLCs change you aren’t reprograming any of the others, you’re just adding some programming to the gateway. It also makes bridging between EtherNet/IP CIP and PCCC much easier.
P.S. Programming the gateway (in this case) is done via a web browser and is extremely easy to do.
https://www.spectrumcontrols.com/products/universal-gateway/

Last edited: