Three phase wiring problem

You use a DC source, 12V should do, to determine U1 and U2, V1 and V2, W1 and W2. This will determine the correct phase rotation as mentioned above.

muusic_man

How do you know which end of the winding is U1 or U2? It DOES make a difference.

For one way to determine the relative start and finish of the windings, have a look at THIS thread in the Engineering Tips Forum, particularly the response from Wiretwister on 30 Apr 06.

You know what. I'm one lucky SOB. This is why I should stick to programming. I have done what I described above for years and not one time have I had a problem. Maybe I should start playing the lottery.:D:D

Sure do, Oemer ac motor 132/4 13.7kw 2940 RPM 480v 3phase 60hz

I'm having trouble with these specs. This appears to have an extreme amount of slip. The speed would be right in line if it were for 50 Hz. Also I think the "132/4" refers to a size 132 motor, 4 pole. It just does not add up correctly.

Oemer is an Italian motor manuafacturer http://www.oemer.it/

I have contacted them before regarding some old DC motors on a machine I upgraded a couple of years ago. If you can give them the serial number of the motor they can probably tell you all about the motor.

I agree with Milldrone, the spec doesn't sound quite right. Base RPM = F/P *60 -slip so 2940 sounds right for 50Hz and 1 pair of poles.

I like the sound of the inductive kick method for determining the start and end of windings - I'll have to give that a try.

Nick

Slip on a normal AC power driven motor will always be there, depends on load variations, and this always changes, even with VSD's, although this is been limited at an extend. The specs on this motor is for a 50Hz supply. No question about it. Efficiency low, cost high.