Ti 500-5884

Danny

I have a TI500-5884 that quit working. The power supply
has a DC good light and the input led's work when a input
is sent. I have no indication on the output modules. Does
anyone know what voltages should be on the bin connectors?
I have several output modules and all show no indication
on the led's. Is it possible I could have a bad DC power
supply and still have a good light indication. Any info
would help -- I have no documentation at all.

Thanks! Danny

Danny

A 500-5884? What is it? Could it be a mis-typed 500-5848 14-slot I/O rack?

If so, what's sitting next to the PSU? There must be either a CPU from the 500-series range or, if it's additional I/O, either a 500-2109 Distributed Base Controller, or a 500-2114 or 500-5114 Remote Base Controller. These usually have some indicator on them regarding health, comms with CPU etc.

If my memory is correct the DC GOOD LED on TI 500-series power supplies was just that: it required good AC incoming and good DC power to the rack before it would illuminate. So I would eliminate that (especially as the inputs are OK).

If all inputs respond as expected, that really tells us nothing other than the modules are powered correctly. I think all the LEDs are wired field-side in the module, so as soon as the appropriate external signal is present they will appear on.

Unfortunately I can't remeber whether the output LEDs were also wired field-side or logic-side. If they were logic-side, then it would appear that your controller is not attempting to turn them on (CPU not in run; logic resolving to 'off' for all of them; whatever ...). On the other hand if they were field-side, they would actually require a load to be switched in order to illuminate. You say "I have several output modules and all show no indication on the led's." Are there any output modules working at all? If none is working as expected check for what they all have in common: most likely CPU or comms to CPU. If some modules are working and others not, check for what the different sets have in common and what is different between them: do they switch different or common external power sources; is all their wiring marshalled through the same or different groups of terminal blocks etc.

Finally, you don't mention having used any programming software to do any diagnostics in the system. Could the CPU's I/O configuration have been upset or changed, has the program been altered etc etc.

More info required.

Regards

Ken.

Ken, you are correct the rack is 500-5884. (number is correct)The controller is a 520c-1102. Two input modules 32PT LVDC(500-5030),two output modules 32PT 24/110 VAC(500-5031), one output 32PT LVDC(500-5031),
and one Form C contact output(RCM-3020). I have TIsoft 2 REV. 4.2. I can't get any response from the output modules. Is there any built in
diagnostics to check the system? System seems dead except for input.

Danny

Does the 520C have any illuminated LEDs on it? Again, working from memory, it should have something like a CPU GOOD, BATT GOOD and a RUN. All these should be lit in a healthy system. If RUN alone is extinguished, then use Tisoft to put the CPU back in to run. If RUN and BATT GOOD are both out, then it could mean that the system has experienced a power-out while the battery was already low. Result: lost program, lost I/O configuration, and no run state. If the CPU GOOD LED is out, then it has failed its own self-diagnostics and shut itself down. Going online with Tisoft may help reveal what is wrong.

I don't have Tisoft here beside me, but at the opening ladder screen, spot the little '+' sign to the bottom right of the screen. Whenever this is present it means there is an additional menu of F-keys available. You can switch between the displays just by pressing the space bar. Find F6-AUX on the second menu, and select, I think, AUX 29. It should be called something like PLC DIAGNOSTIC CELL. Don't worry, you can't do any damage to the PLC or code using this, it's just a snapshot of the current status of the system. If you're lucky you should get some indications of FATAL and/or NON-FATAL errors which may account for the misbehaviour. You can also try using some of the other AUXiliary functions to check on I/O etc.

Until we know the results of these (and the items I mentioned in the first paragraph) it's difficult to say where to go.

Regards

Ken

Ken, The controler PC GOOD led was intermittent yesterday. It does not
work today. The diagnostic came up with fatal error-- operating system ram parity error. Can we do anything or just replace the 520?
Thanks! Danny

Danny,

This sounds very much like an end-of-life component failure within the CPU. If the portion of RAM allocated to the operating system (not the user program) is being detected as having a parity error in it somewhere, then obviously the CPU shuts itself down and won't run. Power cycling the unit will often clear any parity problems that are caused by noise, interference etc on the basis that they are one-offs. But if it is recurring, and with greater frequency, then it seems like the problem is actually within the CPU itself. The 520 is no spring-chicken and there will be a lot of pretty old components on the circuit board. In this case it might be an actual RAM chip itself, but I would guess that somewhere there's a tired old capacitor getting ready to lay himself down for the last time. In he's in the supply line to the RAM then that would account for the erratic behaviour and parity check errors. Ultimately he will go to the great electron store in the sky and you won't have a CPU no more. Time to start searching for a repair shop or second-hand store with 520s I think!

Sorry to hear about this - I worked on a lot of TI 500-series stuff years ago and always enjoyed it.

Regards

Ken.

I have had some luck with RAM Parity Errors by going into TiSoft's Aux (F6 I think) and then into the Restarts and trying each of the 3 Restarts (Power-up, Partial and I forget the third). If I go through all three consecutively three times and still can't get a PC Good LED I give up and replace it.