TI545 with Vorne problems

CPU_BOARD_MAN

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows how to successfully send embedded variables from a TI545 PLC to a Vorne 2180 Display ? I can display messages, but when attmept to send variables I get other messages being triggered. I'm trying to send 3 variables embeded into the message. I have 5 triggers: one to send the message, next three send the variable info, and one blank trigger.....Each trigger is 150 ms. Please Help !

No just simple ladder logic. The program is for a machine with like 150 messages. Each message latches a bit in the program, the bit gets pushed into a register then the word is moved into D0 - D15 or outputs to the Vorne display. I never really used the Print function. Is it easy to program ? How would you take care of the Strobe and Variable strobe ?

Thanks for the reply....

If I understand correctly, the PLC outputs are hardwired to the Vorne.
The messages are preloaded in the Vorne and the plc just triggers which message to display?
I thought you were sending ASCII text, my bad. The print function is only for ASCII text.

Is the Vorne looking for BCD or binary?

Can you post a ladder snippet of what works, and what doesn't work, might be something simple. Sometimes it's hard to trouble shoot your own work, your mind sees what you want, instead of what's really happening. Happens to all of us, sooner or later.

Vorne

I'm using the binary method on D0 - D15. I'll try to include some logic...
I was looking at the special functions, that does look simple. Too bad I'm not using the 485 port.

Vorne____

The code worked on DL40, but now we switched to a Vorne 2180 and are getting invalid messages when machine is running, when its suppose to display the machine running speed.

Hello

You mention that you are using binary method to display message so if Y1-Y16 are wired to the parallel port then the messages should be shown like this:

Message 1 Y1=ON
Message 2 Y2= ON
Message 3 Y1=ON and Y2=ON
Message 4 Y3 = ON
Message 5 Y1=ON and Y3=ON
Etc

This example shows the binary method and you should be able to display 65535 messages to the Vorne display that way so your 150 messages should fit.
Does your PLC logic works this way?

I was reading the vorne manual and did you do the correct setup for the parallel port as described in chapter 7?
http://www.vorne.com/pdf/2100pc.pdf

I don’t have any experience with this kind of displays but if your logic works as described above with the VLD display then I think reading the Vorne manual that this operation should also be possible with the Vorne display

Regards
Henny

Vorne

Yes using the binary method through the parallel port. Calling up messages no problem, just when I try to attach variables to messages I get problems.

The messages display no problem....Just when I try to display the variables I get error or messages that shouldnt be displayed. The messages are canned in the Vorne display 0 1023. Message 1023 is called to display the speed of the machine. I'm having trouble embedding the speed to the Vorne. What should the timing be ?

Thanks for the help.....:oops:

Hello

When you want to display variable data you have to make use of the “variable data enable” contact to let the display know that the data on the port should be interpreted as variable data.
See the explanation starting at page 35 of the manual.

It seems that you have to display first the required message number an put the number out to the parallel port using the 16 outputs with variable enable contact OFF.
After that you have to change the “variable enable”contact to ON and then put the value of your V memory into the 16 outputs.

I’m not sure how the timing should be but this is I think the way you have to go.

Regards
Henny

Ok,

1st trigger Message 1023, strobe message
2nd trigger Speed variable, variable on, strobe on/ off
3rd trigger count variable, variable on, strobe on/ off
4th trigger cut% variable, variable on, strobe on/ off
5th trigger strobe off

The triggers are set to 125ms, and still doesn't work. Message displays but values dont..............

Hello

Reading the manual starting at page 35 you have a couple of possibilities how
To send variable data using the parallel port to the display.

I can’t tell you if 125 ms is long enough try to set it longer then you know.

The most ideal situation would be if you would have a test 555 plc and another vorne display
So that you could do testing without interrupting the process because these things can be quit difficult sometimes as you already know by now.

Ten years ago we also had Telemequanique displays connected to a 555-1102 using outputs and the parallel port.
It was very slow and it was difficult to synchronize messages in combination with variables.

A few years later we used port 1 on the 555 as a printer port and send ASCII data to the display using the printer port.
The advantages where that messages could be stored in the plc rather then on the displays using K memory and that it was easy to change a display because the only thing that needed set was the baud rate and parity of the displays serial port.
Using this method we connected 5 displays to one 555-1102 the displays address in the network was set due the wiring in the connecter.
One RS232 cable was connected from the 555 to a Westermo MA21 current loop converter and from this MA21 a RS485 cable (like you use for profibus) was connected to the displays.
The displays where then connected serial to each other.
Disadvantage of this method is that if you disconnect one display the others also don’t work because the serial line is broken then.

I feel sorry that I can’t help you any further at this moment.

Regards

Henny

Hello

Last atempt

What did you choose for port setup?
No Strobe Mode or Strobed Msg Mode or Strobed Msg & VData Mode.

When the last method is chosen “Strobed Msg & VData Mode” then it seems that if you want to display a message with two variable data in it.

1e call up message (message number into D0-D15 strobe OFF and Variable enable OFF
2e display first variable Variable enable ON, value variable into DO-D15 then strobe ON
3e strobe OFF
4e display second variable ,value second variable into D0-D15 then strobe ON
5e strobe OFF and Variable enable OFF
Finished

If you want to display a message like “Pressure= (variable) Bar”
1e call up message (message number into D0-D15 strobe OFF and Variable enable OFF
2e display variable Variable enable ON, value for Pressure into DO-D15 then strobe ON
3e strobe OFF and Variable Enable OFF.

How long the time intervals should be between each step is difficult to say but for testing I would start with a second and then see how it can be shortened.

This is how I understand the manual

Regards
Henny

Vorne

I have the

Mode: Strobe & Message Variable
Debounce = 10ms " Noise on 6ms "
Strobe = Normal
Variable =Normal

Just cant get the variables lined up properly. Could be a Ti thing.......12364 addresses to program....

Hello

Debounce time means that if data is stable for 10ms then it’s considered valid according to the manual.
You don’t get variable data at all displayed in message numbers 0-1023 only the message itself or sometimes the message and invalid variable data?

To find out how the data should be send to the display so that it is displayed correct you could proceed as follow.

If the outputs are for example D0-D15(Y1-Y16) strobe Y17 and variable enable Y18.

First call up for example message number one Force Y1 to ON and Force Y2-Y18 OFF
No assume that the variable you want to display has a value of 7
Now force Y18 to ON and after that force Y1,Y2,Y3 and Y18 to ON the rest of the outputs should be forced OFF
Then force Y17(strobe) ON.

I hope that I understand the manual correctly how the operation on the parallel port works but in this way the correct message with the correct variable data should be displayed.

I assume here that the display keeps showing the last message and variable data if the data on the parallel port doesn’t change.

If you can successfully display a message with correct variable data in it then you would now how to start modifying your program if necessary.

I would also try if it makes any difference when increasing the debounce time.

I hope it will help.

Regards
Henny

Yes you are correct.

I read the manual and do understand it...
I understand what the debounce is, The info has to be present for 10ms before it is considered valid data. Which is no where near 125 ms...

I send message, strobe message.
I set variable high
Then send variable, strobe
Second variable sent, strobe
Third variable sent, strobe
I set variable low
Blank trigger......

< Repeat >

Thanks for the help.

I haven't had much time to work on the project.
I have to travel for work this week so will check in later.

Thanks!