to all servo motor gurus:)

theripley

Hi,

I would just like to ask if a servo motor can possibly be functioned as an ordinary motor w/ a VFD?

Let's say at this time the decision when to stop my motor is via a sensor then afterwards the servo motion will be dictated by the number of pulses & not via a sensor?

The servo motor is Mitsubishi..With as much as i would like to post its wiring diagram but unfortunately i can't..

Looking @ its signals & wiring manual, i would guess the servomotor needs pulses & frequency setting to run (sorry, for this stupid question)..but it is necessary that it would be programmed via PWM or DPLSR or PLSY?can i control the servo motor with only a coil?

servo can do more than vfd. exact capability depends on model. some drives are just servo amplifiers, other have brains and can be configured to do something on it's own (either preset positions or fully programmable using ASM or C).
if you are using plain amplifier, you will have to use some sort of PTO instruction (PWM, DPLSR, PLSY).

if you are using plain amplifier, you will have to use some sort of PTO instruction (PWM, DPLSR, PLSY).

Hi Panic mode,

Well, on the present application the servomotor's motion is configured on the amplifier..Hmm, how will i know if its a plain ampli or a special ampli?

I was thinking, if i could set fixed frequency, disregard the pulses & use sensor instead on positioning without the PTO instruction..Is that possible?

how will i know if its a plain ampli or a special ampli?

read the specs/manual

I was thinking, if i could set fixed frequency, disregard the pulses & use sensor instead on positioning without the PTO instruction..Is that possible?

read the specs/manual

most drives will allow internal or external speed reference and some i/o. exact functionality is unit specific.