Touch screen PLC interface

sparkyinak

I'm kinda new to the PLC field with limited access to reliable resources. I'm not in the market for a touch screen interface but would like to learn more about them in the likely need in the near future.

I'd imagine that bulk of the market of touch screens are PLC specific, however, does someone make a touchscreen that's compatible with pretty much any PLC?

For example, I'm not too concern about connecting to the PLC's programming and such, but more as a start/stop/monitor by slaving off of the I/O's to include both digital and analog signals. I'd be also interested in graphic software for it to make a virtual system of what's being monitored and controlled

Go to Automation Direct.com and look at their C-More micro. It lists numerous PLC's it is compatible with. You can download the software free, so you can practice with it .

Most HMI panels can communicate with many brands and models of PLC. For example, Allen Bradley HMIs can communicate with non-AB PLCs.
Some of the more popular models, frequently discussed here include Red Lion, Maple, C-More, Panel View, Quick Panel. Others will undoubtedly add more names.

A very low-cost touch-screen input to a PLC can be provided with a Weintek cMT series unit.

The "touch-screen" aspect is via an iPad or tablet PC, so you're not stuck with buying their HMI offerings.

It's a great solution where you want a portable HMI.

The software for developing the HMI application, EasyBuilder Pro, is free, unlike some others.

Just to say I have no commercial link with Weintek, the functionality is lacking in some areas (mostly visual display of dynamic objects).

They include comms drivers for pretty much everything you can think of, I've not counted them, but there must be well over 60 platforms/variants catered for.

A very low-cost touch-screen input to a PLC can be provided with a Weintek cMT series unit.

The "touch-screen" aspect is via an iPad or tablet PC, so you're not stuck with buying their HMI offerings.

It's a great solution where you want a portable HMI.

The software for developing the HMI application, EasyBuilder Pro, is free, unlike some others.

Just to say I have no commercial link with Weintek, the functionality is lacking in some areas (mostly visual display of dynamic objects).

They include comms drivers for pretty much everything you can think of, I've not counted them, but there must be well over 60 platforms/variants catered for.

Interesting!

Funny, though, when I clicked through to find out where and how to buy, they have a link to Amazon. I just happened to notice how it was classified in the product group hierarchy:
Tools & Home Improvement › Power & Hand Tools › Power Tool Parts & Accessories › Router Parts & Accessories › Router Bits › Joinery Bits
:sick:

I'm not too concern about connecting to the PLC's programming and such, but more as a start/stop/monitor by slaving off of the I/O's to include both digital and analog signals.

You'll have to be more specific; every HMI can talk to all the major brand of new PLCs (well, nearly every HMI).
What really matters is the exact model of PLC and network type.

Do you want I/O connected directly to the HMI?
Which PLC model# and network type?
Do you have environment specs? (ex. C1D2, food&bev, vibration, freezing, etc).