Touch screens and tag based addressing

smiller

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me which, if any touch screen HMI panels support tag based addressing ie. Logix5000 PLC's? I had an integrator do an application with a Xycom Pro Face GP2600 and he had to use a routine in the PLC (Compactlogix L35E)to convert to PLC5 style addresses for the HMI panel to read it. Do any of the HMI panel makers support tag based databases? I am interested in the new Xycom 3000 series and AD C-More series.
Thanks
Steve

Steve,

Can't help but I have a question, do like your Xycom's, I had a few and they were very unreliable at best, I changed them over to a PC base and a industrial key board, back up were much easier and cheaper to repair, unlike the Xycoms plus the lead time..

Just popping in here to mention that the PanelView Plus terminal from Rockwell not only do tag addressing without the PLC data type conversion, they also do "direct referencing" in which you use the tags from the RSLogix 5000 database directly with no intermediate HMI database. The integration with Logix 5000 is a major feature of these terminals.

Mark,
We are working on our first installation of the Xycom panels now. I used a Magelis 12.1 inch touch screen recently. It used the Vijeo software that is the same thing as GE Proficy/Quickpanel. I liked it for its' ease of use but it only talks Modbus/TCP. The vendor sells both Xycom and Magelis and told me that they are the same thing but the Xycom has many more comm options. However he did not tell me that the software is totally different and not too user friendly (the panel itself is identical except for bezel color). I spec'ed Xycom for the new projects that are using AB PLC's. I hope that the Xycoms are reliable for us but you have me worried.

Steve

Steve,

You may have better luck then I (hope you do), my Xycom's were on a profibus with Siemens plc's, from a compatibility stand point they were great, but from a hardware side they fell short

I have some Panelviews that have been stabbed with a pen and/or screw driver and still running strong...that’s the dependability that I like and demand from my equipment and if I need them fixed then I cant wait 4 weeks

I know that now days you don’t need to run all the same hardware on one system but I like to if possible, I keep (try) AB with AB, Siemens with Siemens, it seems that they play better that way

Read Ken's post he is much more knowledgeable then I

Good luck

You may have better luck then I (hope you do), my Xycom's were on a profibus with Siemens plc's, from a compatibility stand point they were great, but from a hardware side they fell short

I have some Panelviews that have been stabbed with a pen and/or screw driver and still running strong...that’s the dependability that I like and demand from my equipment and if I need them fixed then I cant wait 4 weeks

geniusintraining,
Could you elaborate further on this point? Do you mean they are a fragile and cant take a beating? Which models in particular?

I think this may have come up at the right time, i'm looking into a cheaper alternative to siemens touchscreens and the Proface panels looked promising o_O

Thanks STL

Last edited:
I am currently using an PanelPlus 1500 on a job. It works great, I like being able to access the tags right from the CompactLogix L35E.

The customer would like on the next job to go to something cheaper.
I am considering maybe using a RedLion display. Anyone got any feedback on this. They also want trending.

STL??? said:
geniusintraining,
Could you elaborate further on this point? Do you mean they are a fragile and cant take a beating? Which models in particular?

Hi STL,
I wish I could, it's been a few years, they worked great, but they where hard to repair or get repaired, they may have got better by now but thats what you need to look into (the service, my operators will test just about anything to the limits..

Mark Buskell said:
I am considering maybe using a RedLion display. Anyone got any feedback on this. They also want trending.
Hi Mark Buskell,
I have several (8) Redlions, they are great, in the past 6ish years only one problem, but all of my trending is done over the ethernet with RSView...but hey if you would of came here and helped then you could of seen this with your own eyes :D

I have not tried the C-More yet, I like their plc's, they have good prices, but its hard to beet AB for reliability

In answer to the OP: There is a feature in RSLogix5000 that allows you to create a table that map tags to PLC/SLC style addresses for legacy HMIs. It can be found under Logic->Map PLC/SLC

I'll go with Ken on this one. PVPlus works great with CLX and RSL5K, it is so easy I thought I was doing something wrong. It's a little more complicated with the SLC but once you get the hang of it, it is a piece of cake. Also if you want to do PC based HMI, it is the same software, RSView studio (though you have to buy a runtime lic. for RSView ME to run on a PC). MEruntime comes on a PVP as part of the deal.Good luck
Marc

We are currently working on a tag based addressing driver. We decided some time ago not to do this driver because of speed issues, but so many customers have requested it that we have decided to go ahead with the development.

The speed issue is due to the fact that the tag names need to be sent in the frame. The tag names can be up to 40 characters long, so that makes the transaction times potentially longer. Only one tag can be requested at one time, unless arrays are used in the PLC at which point the whole array can be requested.

This is why we prefer the method you had mentioned earlier (SLC/PLC mapping), but that is only efficient if arrays are used as well.

FYI: The driver is currently in the BETA stage, we have a couple of customers testing it.

Regards,

Last edited:
For tag addressing on Control Logix then go with a PVPlus

I would also highly recommend the RedLion G3's - I have found both the displays 8" and 10" to be excellent, the Crimson software takes a bit of getting used to and could do with an update but once you get used to it then its fine.

I am on my 5th unit in as many months and can only say that there support is second to none that i have encountered. In fact i would say that i would now pay more for there product because i find there support to be so good.

This would include when i ask a question how do i do this ? The support ( DanY ) sends me over a sample crimson file for what i need, I give them 10 out of 10.

Glad to see RedLion will be going with Tag Adressing in the future.