Tp link access point

Cnetwork

Hello guys.

I am wondering if anyone can help I am trying to connect wirelessly via a TP link router to a large Allen Bradley network connected via EN2Ts. I can connected hardwired via Ethernet no problem once I change my ipv4 protocol. My set up is below.

Tp link - set up as an access point, static IP 192.18.1.100 subnet 255.255.0.0. DHCP enabled with start address as 192.18.1.150 end address as x.x.x.250
Gateway 192.18.1.0

Plc network - numberous processors from 192.18.1.1 through to 192.18.51.1 subnet as 255.255.0.0

Laptop - WiFi card left as dhcp to retrieve ip from router. Ipconfig shows I have the address 192.18.1.250 subnet 255.255.0.0

When in rs link using IP driver configured to the laptop WiFi card occasionally sees processors on the network for around 30 seconds then they go Red Cross.
I can’t ping any processors as I just get a reply from my laptop.

Is it possible that my range needs to include the ip addresses I am looking for as I assumed it was only from issuing IPs in that range.

Look forward to your responses

Thank you

i am no expert, but this is what we did.

we used cisco wireless access points to our plc's.
from our cisco main switch we has to configure the port for an access point.
we then connected the access point as a master and then configured a slave for this master. the slave was connected to a managed 5 port switch and then to the plc's.

if you use an unmanaged switch, every port is scanned and data is sent/received whether it needs is or not. a managed switch looks at each port to see if information is requested. then acts i=on the feedback.
another issue we had was that of compatibility of the router and access points.
hope this helps,
james

your IP addresses seemed off. Private IP addresses are 192.168 not 192.18.

192.18 are public IP addresses and I think it's belong to the Oracle. I don't recommend you to mess with the Oracle.

Assuming you PLC network is 192.168.1.x to 192.168.51.x
then you can either set your router to either Class A or B address, or Class C of 192.168.200.x and mask to 255.255.192.0.

I've been in several facilities where someone chose an inappropriate address scheme (including using Internet IPv4 blocks) years ago and inertia just kept it going successfully until that person stopped administering the network. 192.0.x.y is definitely IPv4 reserved space, but I'm not sure about 192.18.x.y.

My guess, though, is that properly re-addressing everything in the system isn't on the immediate menu.

So I would plug in hardwired and see if I could browse the automation devices. Use RSLinx, and good old PING, and Angry IP Scanner looking for Ports 80 (HTTP for embedded web pages) and 44818 (EtherNet/IP).

It's possible the TP-Link device is acting as a router and the devices think they're getting a request from outside the LAN, and are sending their replies to the Default Gateway that *they* are configured for, not the one that the TP-Link access point is configured for.

I've been in several facilities where someone chose an inappropriate address scheme (including using Internet IPv4 blocks) years ago and inertia just kept it going successfully until that person stopped administering the network. 192.0.x.y is definitely IPv4 reserved space, but I'm not sure about 192.18.x.y.

My guess, though, is that properly re-addressing everything in the system isn't on the immediate menu.

So I would plug in hardwired and see if I could browse the automation devices. Use RSLinx, and good old PING, and Angry IP Scanner looking for Ports 80 (HTTP for embedded web pages) and 44818 (EtherNet/IP).

It's possible the TP-Link device is acting as a router and the devices think they're getting a request from outside the LAN, and are sending their replies to the Default Gateway that *they* are configured for, not the one that the TP-Link access point is configured for.

Thinking same. If PLCs don't have gateway addresses or they are addressed to different IP than TP-links IP 192.18.1.100 then it is possible that replys from PLC are going to from place.
Ping still can work.

I would try to change PLC gateway address from one PLC and look if it goes to online after that.

This is what has worked for me previously. Your milage may vary.

Setup the wireless router as an access point, not as a router.
Assign it a static ip address matching the hardwired ethernet network.
Assign the laptops wifi card a static address on the same IP address scheme.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Please don’t focus too much on the IP address I have changed them
When I arrived to site to 172.18.x.x. I am still having the same issue with this tp link those apple routers are much better especially for traveling, shame they’re discontinued.

I have connected to the router and checked my config I am in the same network as rs links does pick up the processors however after 30 secs they go off then back on then off. I’m
Not sure what’s going on it’s like it recognizes the nodes but can’t establish a solid connection

That was really d#n$ to change from 172.18 to 192.18.
172.18 is a valid private IP address range class B.

Ah sorry maybe I wasn’t clear. I changed them from 192.18.x.x to 172.18.x.x when I arrived on site.

Has anyone ever used these tp links as a AP or extender? If so how did you set it up. There’s nothing I can see what wouldn’t let me communicate with these processors I’m in the same ip and sub.

I have found the issue and no idea why I didn’t go straight to this instead of 2nd guessing my configuration. My wifi is intermittently disconnecting/reconnecting from the router but it only happens on this TP- links 840n. Anyone have any ideas why

I have found the issue and no idea why I didn’t go straight to this instead of 2nd guessing my configuration. My wifi is intermittently disconnecting/reconnecting from the router but it only happens on this TP- links 840n. Anyone have any ideas why

Update the FW?

if you use an unmanaged switch, every port is scanned and data is sent/received whether it needs is or not. a managed switch looks at each port to see if information is requested. then acts i=on the feedback.

This has popped up before and is not correct. The behavior you describe is the difference between a "hub" and a "switch". Any switch either managed or unmanaged forwards packets only to the ports that need to receive it.

Just these.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/722/

Disable the smart connect on your router. (If your router does not support it, please skip this step.)
If there are multiple Wi-Fi networks in the area, please change the router's Wi-Fi channel and channel width. This avoids multiple Wi-Fi signals on the same channel, and reduces Wi-Fi interference sources.
Upgrade your router to the latest version.

In my experience, it's seldom worth investigating why a consumer-grade wireless device has poor performance or reliability.

If I don't have the ability or expertise to explore the local RF environment and get to the low-level diagnostics and monitoring, then I'm going to assume that the super-inexpensive RF modules are damaged or defective, and replace the device.

I strongly prefer Ubiquiti and Mikrotik devices for my home, office, and shop. I'll use a vendor-provided or heavy duty Cisco or N-Tron device if the customer requires it.