Traverse Rewinding

Tell us more about your valve(s). Provide a hydraulic schematic. You hint that you have no way to reverse direction, but I am unclear. Post some pictures, if possible. You may be able to get "adequate" results, but I am not sure what the definition of adequate is in your application.

Is your winder center driven? Is there an input loop, festoon? More questions than answers at this point. I am sure we can help you more and the more detail you provide, the better the quality of the replies. You cannot post too many details. At least I am pretty sure I have never seen a thread with too many specifics included. Pictures are worth a thousand words and moving pictures are ten thousand words per frame...

You have this Moog 62 series servo valve? If so, you should have multiple ways to spool the valve in both directions. You can use a bipolar supply in series or parallel configurations, or if you only have a unipolar supply, you can energize one coil at a time

I think the issue with retracting is the control method... Speaking with the manufacturer right now.

The winder is centre driving running in torque mode with no dancer or loop. There is a nip roller pulling material from the uncoiler, to feed the winder.

I have attached two pictures of the traverse system with a spool on the winder.
I also added one with the winder and nip roller

20140226_161000.jpg 20140226_161036.jpg winder.jpg

Last edited:
You have this Moog 62 series servo valve? If so, you should have multiple ways to spool the valve in both directions. You can use a bipolar supply in series or parallel configurations, or if you only have a unipolar supply, you can energize one coil at a time

Thanks... I just received this from the manufacturer also.
I think the issue was me trying to drive this valve with a 1769-OF4 with 4-20mA signal, with the valve connected in parallel.

That valve is a good valve. I couldn't find the current specifications in the pdf files. Typically these valves take +/- 20 ma if the coils are wired in series or +/- 40 ma if the coils are wired in parallel. You should be able to make the actuator move back and forth by applying a positive or negative current. Above you mentioned only applying a positive current.

The advantage of getting someone that has a lot of experience is that they can see in an instant what needs to be done. For instance, is the hose between the servo valve and the cylinder. If so that will reduce performance. Is there an accumulator? Accumulators keep the pressure constant so the hydraulic gain will stay constant. If the pressure drops the amount of oil that will flow through the valve will drop given a constant control signal.

I would have had this done by now but I know what to look for and have been doing these kinds of applications for a long time. Usually I only get a weekend. I try to avoid going into the field now.

That valve is a good valve. I couldn't find the current specifications in the pdf files. Typically these valves take +/- 20 ma if the coils are wired in series or +/- 40 ma if the coils are wired in parallel. You should be able to make the actuator move back and forth by applying a positive or negative current. Above you mentioned only applying a positive current.

The advantage of getting someone that has a lot of experience is that they can see in an instant what needs to be done. For instance, is the hose between the servo valve and the cylinder. If so that will reduce performance. Is there an accumulator? Accumulators keep the pressure constant so the hydraulic gain will stay constant. If the pressure drops the amount of oil that will flow through the valve will drop given a constant control signal.

I would have had this done by now but I know what to look for and have been doing these kinds of applications for a long time. Usually I only get a weekend. I try to avoid going into the field now.
Come on up to Canada!!! it is minus 16 Deg C here and white out conditions but would like to learn from the best!!

Also Valve is +/- 50mA drive signal if the coils are wired in series or a +/-100mA signal if they are wired in parallel.

Critt, winder applications and especially traverse winders are not my field. I'd recommend paying close attention to Peter N on this application. Winders are a specialized situation with a thousand tricky holes to fall into. Go with someone who has done it more than once or twice. That would be Peter N.!

I am using ABB ACS 880 Drive in Control logix 1757-L74. i used Ethernet drive module for the ACS 800, but i am not sure that, what i have to be put the values in connection parameters in Ethernet module configuration window.

Please start a new thread. You will get better results. This is a 4 year old totally unrelated thread.