Trending on RSLogix 5000 problems

beanpole_ecc

This isn't a question but more like a FYI. I was using a bunch of trends (around 15) each fully loaded at 8 pens each. Over the course of a few weeks I edited the trends a lot to get them recording data in a way that shows the right details.

I noticed that after a couple months, the pens started to record the wrong data. For example, I had a tag array, Motor. Under this tag I had Command Frequency, Amps, Program Setpoint for the Command, etc. I wanted to trend the frequency which was 3 or 4 elements down the array. I noticed that instead of trending the commanded frequency of the array it would instead trend the setpoint frequency which was at the top of the array.

I tried deleting the trend and recreating it but I got the same behavior. After a couple weeks of troubleshooting the problem, I deleted the trend, saved the program, closed everything, rebooted the computer, then recreated the trends and everything is right with the world again.

I think the number of trends, maxing the pens for each trend at 8, and editing said trends repeatedly over the course of a couple months somehow corrupted something in RSLogix 5000 regarding the control of trend tags. It was only when I did the above steps that it finally cleared the issue and I was able to get good trend data. Simply closing the program and rebooting the pc did not solve the issue.

I knew it was a superficial issue because the program and system was acting correctly. The data being logged was incorrect. Hopefully, this saves the next person a lot of trouble.

Thanks