RSLogix 5000 Trending

agrosse

I have a application where i'm looking at using some data logging in a AB L43 processor with a PV+ 700. Instead of using force vs time i want to use force vs position! I know that force vs time can be done with trending in Factory Talk but i haven't seemed to find out a way to use position instead of time. I was starting to think of possibly writing a Excel macro to pull in the data from the PLC but i feel like there could be an easier way than using a macro in excel. I guess basically i am just looking for some opinions on what could very well be my best option to save time and money.

The FactoryTalk trend is fairly limited in scope; it's a pure Trend object, not a Chart object.

You can configure a Trend object as an "XY Plot", where the X axis has values from a Pen, rather than of elapsed time. But the data is still placed into the Trend object one element at a time according the the poll rate, rather than taken from an array of X and Y values.

If your desired sample time is faster than about once per second, I'd say look for another way to store the data onboard the controller or elsewhere.

ya my samples i want to plot every 10 mm for instance instead of every 1 sec. really the reason behind me wanting to do this is so that way if there is a problem with the part the operator/supervisor can go in and find where the problem in the part lies. Basically this part my machine is testing force on comes from another part in assembly and it would be good to know the position of the fault so they can then backtrack to find the issue. Where as if i use force vs time, ya they are getting fed data but its hard to tell part to part where the fault happened. Is there a way to link up excel and factory talk to insert a chart?