Two PLCs Communicating off One Project

CAAJ

Hello All,

Previously in our facility we had one Compactlogix L35E controller running from a single RSLogix 5000 project. We have recently obtained an additional Compactlogix L32E controller with some modules to satisfy other operations and retrieve additional process data. Our original L35E controller is connected to a network switch, and I have connected the new L32E controller to that same switch and given the L32E controller an IP address. I would like to ultimately incorporate the second PLC within the single RSLogix 5000 project, however I am not really sure how to do this. Is this even possible? Is there perhaps a better/simpler way to have the two PLCs communicate?

Any help would be appreciated! :D

CAAJ

Your second PLC would, ideally, be controlling, with its own program, the section of the process related to the I/O modules which it controls. As noted in the previous post there may be data which must be passed between the two controllers to coordinate control. Produced/Consumed tags would be the most painless method to accomplish this.

Produced = a tag who's value is controlled by the local controller but also utilized by another controller.

Consumed (just the same tag but seen from the other using controller)

The tags (names and types must be identical) are set up in each controller but declared as Produced or Consumed. If 'Produced' the number of 'Consumers' must be stated. If 'Consumed' then the communication path to the source must be given.

After set up the actual communication happens in the background.