Universal Remote Controls

S7Guy

Here's the deal: I would like to take a typical programmable universal remote control unit (like what you would buy at Best Buy) and interface it with an S7 PLC. I took a quick look on the web, and I could probably do it with some X10 relays one way or another, but I figured there must be a better way.

Keep in mind that I won't be using this for industrial control, so I'm not worried about safety regs. This is what I had in mind: I would like to take the remote to my garden and switch on certain irrigation lines, or in my workshop (it's a large building) I would like to be able to control things like the air compressor, lighting, etc. Admittedly, it will be a toy in the beginning, but I would eventually like to do some pretty heavy stuff with it.

I don't care what the interface is. The brute force method would obviously be some kind of relay output receiver, but since I have a bunch of CP modules I picked up on Ebay, RS232 would be ok too. Actually, I'm open to any ideas at all. Maybe someone here has already done this before.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a cool project!...

First off, I would go with a simple keychain RF transmitter rather than a clunky IR remote. Better range, and you won't have to point it at the house for it to work!... :D

X10 stuff would probably wind up costing more than something simple like THIS.

Ton's of similar products if you search for "RF Remote" on Google... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

Eric,

Why didnt you mention this earlier, now I have 4 Genie remote recivers spread around my building to contol the gate, alarm, electric striks etc.. and I could have done it with just one!

Thanks anyway...

By the way Eric, it's 24:26 in Detroit, do you know where your kids are? (I just cant let it go!) I'm sorry.

elevmike said:
Eric,

Why didnt you mention this earlier

Because you didn't ASK earlier...
16.gif

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. I get a kick out of your obsession with the 24 o'clock stuff, but if you'll look at that post again, I was not off the mark. What's his name asked if there was a way to substitute "24" in place of "0", and I gave him just that. If he asked for a way to substitute "dinner o'clock" for "6 o'clock", I would've given him a solution for that as well!... :p

Eric,

You remined me of a guy I once knew...

While we were standing on the sidewalk one day talking, a car drove up with a boat in tow. The guy in the car asked us where the Lakeland Boat ramp was. My neighbor casually gave him directions and the guy in the car said thanks and drove off. I said to my neighbor "The boat ramp has been closed for over a year". With a streight face he reminded me that the guy didnt ask about that! utoh

If this guy is going to display 24:20 or something like that, I think the operators are going to be a little puzzeled. :confused:

Anyway enough of that!