Uploading from a panelview 550 to a laptop

I do have a real serial port..what are you try to say?o_O LOL I will try the pic driver again with a straight thru cable, when I config. should I put 2 as the station or will RSWho see it anyway? I believe RS should see anything that's on the network.
Thanks!

The station address in RSLinx must be different then your PV's address.

nuttin...

Well, Tried the straight cable with pic driver. RS see's the workstation and calls out a status of "program" but it doesn't recognize it as a PV?????This one is really getting ugly...SP2 Running out of idea's here...I am disconnecting the AIC module and plugging directly into the panel...
ML

Well, you got past the hard part simply by getting the PIC driver installed and working.

Now that RSLinx can see the PV, don't worry about what it shows for status. RSLinx doesn't always show the status of Panelviews correctly, it is only really significant for PLCs.

Open Panelbuilder32 and under the File menu, look for the option to transfer an application. Open that up, select RSLinx for the transfer mechanism, and you should be able to broswe to the Panelview through your newly configured PIC driver.

Then there should be an Upload button and a place to choose a file name.

This is from memory so I may have missed something, but that's the general idea.

nope

It sees a workstation but doesn't see a PV. I do know the panel is configured for node 2 and even though I have connected to 100's of these things, this one is being difficult. I still don't believe Linx is seeing it. However, when I look at my diagnostics it shows sent and received bits as equal??? Still, I have been unable to upload. Anything else I may be missing?
Thanks!

Can you post a screen shot of RSLinx's "RSWho"?

Can you post your PV's program( its .PBA file. zip it first if you can)?

Last edited:
Okay, workstation, in the RSWho window is actually your PIC device. Your PIC is not seeing the PV550 on the network. It should show up as a second node below the workstation. Try changing the baud rate and the node number of the PIC driver, and double check your cables again.

Pv550

Tried all of the above...baud, nodes, cables. Tried 9600,19200, baud. 0,2 nodes. and multiple cables from straight to 2711 NC13. Tried going through AIC with mini din, even tried 1747 PIC module through link coupler. Thought it might be a PC issue so I tried to connect to the only other PV we have and it went right online. Micro 300 DF1. Does anyone know the exact cable configuration I need? Someone suggested the PV only uses 3 pins...Driver config should be: 19200 baud, PIC doesn't allow for any other changes during config. Correct?
Mike

Correct. Baud 9600 or 19200. (I've never seen 9600 used) Node number can be 0 through 31. As long as your PIC is assigned a different node number than the PV550, it should be able to see it.

I'll have to look up your cable config. again.
EDIT: You need a straight through cable.
EDIT AGAIN: According to the manual I am looking at, the extra serial port on the RS-232 (DH-485) models is only for use as a printer port, not for file transfers.

Get a memory card and be done with it.

2711-K5A5.jpg

Last edited:
port

Never used a memory card before on a PV. So I load the card with the new program improvements and stick in the slot. Hit load from mem card on the start up on the PV panel configuration and that's it?
The 232 port is the only port on the PV, it isn't an extra. I have to unplug the cable going to the AIC module and plug in the straight cable for communications.
Standard memory card? $$? :unsure:
Thanks,
ML

On the first page of this thread I posted more info on the memory card. It is the simplest way to handle what you're doing. You need an ATA type memory card. Allen-Bradley will sell you one that is guaranteed to work. I have some of theirs and some sandisk brand cards that work just fine. As long as it's a linear flash ATA type card and is formatted (FAT16 I believe) it should work.

Insert it in the slot in the back of the PV550. Go to the config screen:

EDIT:
TO SAVE THE EXISTING APP:
Press save to card.

It will be a .pva (panelview terminal) file.

Then get that file back to your machine with PB32 and see if you can open it. There are certain situations that can prevent the file from being edited.

TO LOAD A DIFFERENT APP ON THE PV550:
In PB32 save the file and change the filetype to .pva
Copy the file to the properly formatted memory card. The card can hold multiple PV applications. Keep the filename short. Filenames longer than 8 characters will have part of the name omitted when being selected on the Config screen.

Put the card in the PV550, goto the config screen and press Memory card listing until the correct file is displayed , then press Restore from card.

PB32_pva.png

Last edited: